The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 8, 2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Strafer Gott

Once more into the breach!

After a very bad experience with an early mini 14, I am determined to give Ruger another chance. I have located and am acquiring an NRA Mini 14 Ranch Rifle in 5.56. Motivation? That chubby little 16" barrel has got to be a major improvement over that skinny, whippy, problem child they had in prior models. I understand many subtle improvements have been made since 2005.
It's a cute baby M1A, and if the accuracy lives up to the promise, I expect to have a nice addition to the carbine rack. I'd like input from NRA edition owners, as these have been out since 2008.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:24 PM   #2
stu925

I think you'll be very pleased with the new Mini-14. Mine has been great, absolutely reliable and shoots pretty well (2" with factory ammo). I'm still in the process of working up a pet load for it but I imagine with the right combo of components I should be able to get the rifle down to 1" @ 100yds. Enjoy the rifle and shoot it a lot.

Stu
Old October 10, 2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Strafer Gott

I plan on running my standard load of H335. I have a lot of reloading ahead, as I purchased many of the M193 bullets. I plan on using these for varmint hunting and plinking and 2" groups at 100 yards will be adequate. It's a little spendy for a truck gun, but it's certainly dressed for it. I love that over-molded stock.
Old October 10, 2012, 10:28 AM   #4
MJ1

;)

Cool score, good on ya. Enjoy your new rifle and post some pictures.I have only seen one of these new Ruger's at the range and it was on the 25 and 50 yard range all day. The shooter had a tin of white boxes of LC 07 and was spending a lot of time adjusting things.

I had one of the stainless folders in the early 80's and it was zeroed out of the box at 100 yards but the first time we used it on moving targets rolling down a hill the barrel turned golden brown after the first 40 round magazine and then a darker brown another magazine later and never cleaned up again. I tried the chrom cleaner they sell at the bike stores for removing the blue from the exhaust headers back then but it didn't help. I don't recall if it lost accuracy after that because I sold it before it got any darker on the barrel.

I have never used H335 or the real 193's but I do have a load the girls like for 300 yards using bulk 55g FMJ FB pills and H4895 in LC 90 brass. Nothing special just something that shoots the same every time.

Cheers
..MJ..
- David Hackworth -
Old October 10, 2012, 11:49 AM   #5
hardhat harry

If you are so inclined: http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php

Clink on RUGER and scroll down to the Trigger Job link.

I sent mine off today to have the 2 stage job done. My 581 series with a 3-9x40 scope shoots sub-MOA.
Old October 10, 2012, 07:44 PM   #6
stu925

All I did with my trigger was polish the engagement surfaces in the trigger group. Worked like a charm for me it's no lighter than a factory trigger but it feels like since it now breaks so cleanly. I also retorqued the gas block screws which is supposed to help accuracy but I didn't notice any improvement.

Stu
Old October 10, 2012, 07:45 PM   #7
Strafer Gott

Is anyone using the aperture sights, or did everyone scope. It's cool they come with rings, but I'm thinking aperture, just to keep the carry profile.