The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 29, 2010, 09:53 AM   #26
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Circumstance and use, Lloyd. Inside of 200 yards on most whitetail, for instance, a .308 is as good as a .300 Wby. Heck, so's a .243. At 500 yards on an elk? Different story.

You can't lump all comparisons together across the board.

I dunno. I've been messin' with this stuff for sixty years now. I've always tried to be specific about why I like or use any particular cartridge. Within the parameters of my own usage, I think it's fair for me to choose some individual cartridge as best for me. But as I've posted many times, I don't imply that the same cartridge is the best for somebody else...
Old April 29, 2010, 10:01 AM   #27
ZeroJunk

I have shot the 30/06 and the 7 Rem Mag side by side at 600 yards with my hunting loads which are max for both, not that I would take a hunting shot that far, and the difference is wider than an elks total vitals, regardless of what any chart says.

If you try a heart/lung shot and estimate the range at 350 and it's 400, a few inches inches might be a big deal.
Old April 29, 2010, 10:15 AM   #28
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

ZJ, the weight penalty of toting my Bushell 800 laser dealie is trivial.

Not quite forty years ago I spent what seemed like all day--okay, okay, eight shots--before I figured out that Bambi wasn't 400 yards away; he was some 550 yards away. Stoopid me.

Unfortunately for him, all that racket didn't seem important. He turned and wandered to within about 450 yards and posed quite prettily. Big mistake. #9 was a DRT deal.
Old April 29, 2010, 10:22 AM   #29
ZeroJunk

Yep. Some of this new technology has really made a difference. I don't use them with a rifle because I don't take shots that far. But, I do with a bow. Since an elk doesn't jump the string like a whitetail 40, 50 even 60 yard shots are makeable, but you had better know the exact distance.
Old April 29, 2010, 11:57 AM   #30
crimsondave

EVERYBODY needs at least one THIRTY NAUGHT SIX
Old April 29, 2010, 03:27 PM   #31
James R. Burke

I am with the others. I would go with the 30-06. You can do about anything with it. It's pretty good even if you dont reload. But the other two are also very nice rifles, and I am sure you would be happy with any of them. Everyone has there favortie, stylye, cal, etc. I have a 06 now for deer. I am using a 165 grain Nosler Parititon, and I am very happy with it. I tryed the 110 Hornady V-Max just to see what it would do. I was pretty impressed with it from a deer rifle. Five shots all 1"or under at 100 yards, and five shots average 3712 f.p.s. I was still under max and no presure signs, but I figured why push it fast enough for me, and I dont shot them that much. The Nosler were about the same being accurate, but around 3000 f.p.s. atill under max. But any of them will work good for you I am sure. Depends on what you like, and what you mainly want it for. I have owned or shot them all, and they all perfomed great.