The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 20, 2010, 12:08 PM   #1
Sea Buck

Remington Model 742

My Rem Model 742 after many careful years of use jammed on me this year. Mfg in 1968. Cosmetically it is still at 90% and has the original 4X Weaver I put on it many years ago and has been a steady game getter since.Now it's a jammer!!I thought I had a good one.Should have known it was only a matter of time! Did Remington ever solve the problem with jamming on this model?
Old February 20, 2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Abel

Quote:
Did Remington ever solve the problem with jamming on this model?
No, but try to find an original 742 magazine in new condition. I would then clean the gas piston assembly, it's gas tube and especially the gas port. Put in a new extractor. Good luck.

http://gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Prod...spx?catid=4340
Old February 20, 2010, 12:30 PM   #3
moosemike

The jamming problem is commonly due to wear on the inside rails in the receiver. Quite frankly, the guns wear out before the barrels do.
Old February 20, 2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Mobuck

742 problem

Really need more info on the type of jam you experienced. Feeding, extraction, ejection or whatever. Just my opinion but the magazines are somewhat flimsy and get tweeked easily if dropped and collect crud like a magnet if carried in a pocket. +1 on the "try another magazine-either new or known to work properly". Secondly, is the chamber clean and the ammo free of grit or dust?
Old February 20, 2010, 01:18 PM   #5
The Tourist

I'm with Abel/Moosemike on this matter. The 742 was only rifle that our local Gander Mountain refused to take in on trades for this exact reason.

Last edited by The Tourist; February 20, 2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old February 20, 2010, 01:20 PM   #6
Abel

Quote:
The jamming problem is commonly due to wear on the inside rails in the receiver. Quite frankly, the guns wear out before the barrels do.
Regrettably, I have heard this too. And if you've shot upwards of 500 rounds through her, she might just be wore out. But, you might be fortunate & just need a new mag or a super-duper cleaning...

If it were mine, and it couldn't be fixed, I'd give it to a young hunter to use as a single shot. Then go buy a better gun. Its a good excuse to treat both a young'n & yourself to a new rifle.
Old February 20, 2010, 01:44 PM   #7
Mobuck

I've heard this about the 742 wearing the inside of the receiver many times. I've owned/shot about a dozen 742 rifles in various calibers and have never seen this situation. If you carry the rifle in a pickup gun rack w/o a magazine on dusty, sandy roads with your window down year round and then load it and shoot a mag as fast as possible, I'll bet you see some wear. Grind sand and grit into any moving metal parts and you'll soon see wear. We used to burn an ammo can(248 rounds?) a month through a couple of 742's just messing around. I've shot many hundreds of reloads through one over 4-5 years and it never stumbled-but it was kept fairly clean and lubed.
Old February 20, 2010, 02:35 PM   #8
uncyboo

I had a buddy bring me his 742 in 30-06 that was having major jamming issues. I took it completely apart and gave everything a good scrubbing. Then I took a 410 shotgun hone and lightly touched up the chamber, which looked just slightly rough. Put her back together and he shoots this gun today with zero problems. That was in 1997 or so.
Old February 21, 2010, 01:25 AM   #9
dmazur

I wish you luck with getting it repaired.

Reminton's replacement for the 7400 is the 750. I don't know if the 750 is any better or not, in terms of expected life. I read that Remington improved the gas system, and all reciprocating surfaces are Teflon-coated -

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featu...07/index2.html

So, there's an "improved" model, if you really want an autoloader.

Or, you could look at this as a chance to get a different rifle. There are a lot of really accurate, bombproof rifles available now. Easier to clean. Better triggers.

That's what I did, a few years ago, when I reluctantly sold my 742.
Old February 22, 2010, 02:49 AM   #10
bamaranger

First step I take........

w/ any semi that is failing is a good, strip,clean, and relube. You don't mention type of failure (jam) but I have "fixed" many Rem autos by cleaning and polishing chamber with a bristle brush as the .410 comment described. This would be for failures to extract.

Next semi issue is mags. Find or borrow some mags to shoot in your rifle.

I find it hard to believe that a Rem auto rifle will wear out in 500 rds, even with marginal care. But I have heard stories of Rem autos being "unrepairable".
Old February 22, 2010, 03:12 AM   #11
106RR

If you have been using Light Magnum ammo it is likely that the frame rails are peened. Look for a banged up area on the receiver wall rail opposite the ejection port. This is an unrepairable problem. Any kind of hot loads or standard loads with an extended pressure curve like Hornady Light Magnums, Federal High Energy etc will cause this problem.