The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 22, 2008, 08:51 AM   #1
matthew temkin

Review of Extreme Close Quarters Shooting Video

I recently watched this new DVD by Rob Pincus and was greatly impressed buy the quality and contents.
Since so many gun fights/encounters occur 0-5 feet this is a very important topic that a vast number of shooting schools quite frankly just gloss over--or totally ignore.
Rob does a good job of explaining the subject and I liked that in his version of retention shooting he rotates the pistol nearly 90 degrees so as to have the magazine base push into the upper ribcage.
This is the way it is done by the NYPD, Ohio Peace Officers Academy, the Swedish Police and a few agencies teach it.
Without going into a great debate on this, I find it safer and more accurate than how others are doing it.
Just IMHO, BTW.
I also like that Mr. Pincus incorporates unarmed combat along with the pistol, something that is vital in this type of situation.
I like Rob's approach to H2H, since it is simple and direct and is very close to what I was taught by many grizzled military and police veterans.
The only thing that I cannot agree with is Rob's advice never strike with the muzzle since I believe there is a time and a place--as well as a way--to do so.
Then again, just a minor disagreement on a theme, as opposed to the concept of the video.
All in all a very good production by a very skilled/articulate instructor.
Available here:
http://www.icestore.us/servlet/StoreFront

Last edited by matthew temkin; November 22, 2008 at 12:16 PM.