The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 27, 2012, 01:54 AM   #26
jimbob86

Quote:
I would pick an SR series pistol over the generally accepted Glock standard any day of the week and twice on sundays.
+1.

I like the sR9c ....would have bought one, but I already had a 9mm Carry gun.
Old November 27, 2012, 08:34 AM   #27
USA SHARK

Wow. Chastised for terminology. I get it that I made a mistake, but people really get sensitive over stuff like that? I hope I don't have to re-read and re-think everything I post in fear that some will shun me for wrong terminology.

Yes, I'm new to the sport, but everyone else was new at some point too. If things are ever going to change in this country, there needs to be more "newbies" to ensure we get to keep doing what we enjoy doing and exercising our 2nd Ammendment right.

As for the replies about the ammo being used for SD vs. range, I don't think I'll need 500 rounds for SD (at least I hope not), so I'll save some and use the rest.

Thanks again for all of the replies and suggestions.
Old November 27, 2012, 08:49 AM   #28
jimbob86

Quote:
I don't think I'll need 500 rounds for SD (at least I hope not), so I'll save some and use the rest.
The SD ammo will keep for nigh forever .... why waste it killing paper?

Carry ammo for semi-autos needs to be changed, as chambering a round repeatedly when you can cause the bullet to get set back deeper into the case, raising pressures when the round is fired...... unless you have a model with a tip-up barrel ( Beretta 86), you will chamber a few rounds over time ....

I think I've bought a couple hundred premium personal defense HP's over the last 5 years or so.... most all the rest of the thousands of rounds have been handloads ...... that cost less than 15 cents a pop, as opposed to $1.

It's your money ..... spend it how you like......
Old November 27, 2012, 09:32 AM   #29
AH.74

Shark- welcome to the forum and to gun ownership.

You don't mention where you are, but I would recommend looking into shooting on public lands if there are any in the area. I haven't shot indoors in a very long time- there is only one small place to do so locally, and it's not a decent outfit so I don't give them my business.

I like being outside and doing my own thing. Weather can be a factor, but you work around that. You might try asking people at local gun stores if they know of places to shoot outdoors. BLM land, national forests, that type of thing. All those fees can be saved and put toward ammo...
Old November 27, 2012, 09:44 AM   #30
Fishbed77

Quote:
Wow. Chastised for terminology. I get it that I made a mistake, but people really get sensitive over stuff like that? I hope I don't have to re-read and re-think everything I post in fear that some will shun me for wrong terminology.
USA SHARK,

I don't think there was any ill-intent in this correction of terminology.

You have to keep in mind that "clip" is a term many anti-gun folk use to demonize regular-capacity magazines. I'm not sure why they use it - perhaps because it sounds more "gangsta" and helps to demonize responsible gun owners?

See below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Va-Ll2vKw

Of course we know that clip is an accepted term for the devices described in the posts by tahuna and jimbob.

Last edited by Fishbed77; November 27, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old November 27, 2012, 09:57 AM   #31
btmj

I understand the need to shoot at an indoor pistol range. In an urban/suburban envirionment, an indoor range is very convenient and close. I have a good one that is 5 minutes away. On the plus side, it is super close and convenient... They allow rapid fire... it is acceptably heated and cooled. On the down side, it is about $20 to shoot there for an hour, and being indoors, it is quite loud... I wear muffs and ear plugs.

There are outdoor ranges a little further out that are run by the Missouri Conservation department. These are very nice facilities, and it costs $3 to shoot there, which has to be the bargain of the year. BUT, they do not allow rapid fire, and they do not allow shooting from field positions (standing or seated from a bench are the only options). I go there to sight in a rifle, but not for much else.

I am a member of a private outdoor gun range that allows a lot more options: shooting rifles from field positions, practicing drawing a handgun from a holster, engaging multiple targets.... the only downside is that this range is 1 hour 40 minutes from my house. So I end up at the nearby indoor pistol range fairly often... For me it is worth the convenience.
Old November 27, 2012, 01:07 PM   #32
tahunua001

Quote:

Yes, I'm new to the sport, but everyone else was new at some point too. If things are ever going to change in this country, there needs to be more "newbies" to ensure we get to keep doing what we enjoy doing and exercising our 2nd Ammendment right.

As for the replies about the ammo being used for SD vs. range, I don't think I'll need 500 rounds for SD (at least I hope not), so I'll save some and use the rest.

Thanks again for all of the replies and suggestions.
USA Shark, please do not misunderstand my post. I was merely attempting to add a bit of humor to the discussion. terminology generally seems to be a major irritant with some users and while most are usually courteous with their corrections some can be downright annoying. a lot of people I know that have been around guns their whole lives still use the term "clip" inappropriately however it has become such a common misnomer that regardless of if it is incorrect or not just about everyone still knows what you are talking about.

as for shooting ammunition is always going up in price and rarely goes down, when it does it does not go down by much and never stays that way for long. self defense ammo is generally much more expensive than range ammo(hollowpoint vs ball/full metal jacket) so people rarely train with it. IT IS a good idea to train with the ammo that you plan to defend your life with however I follow the train of thought that you spend much of your time shooting the cheap stuff and every once in a while throw in a box of the expensive stuff to make sure you don't forget how to react to the differences. 500 rounds will last you several years if you only shoot 2 or 3 boxes a year and will be much more cost effective in the long run by practicing primarily with "range fodder" than by shooting premium ammo.
Old November 27, 2012, 04:14 PM   #33
dajowi

"$30 for the range fees."
Old November 27, 2012, 06:32 PM   #34
marine6680

I had a range that charged me and the fiance $30 for us both using one lane... back where I used to live.

It was a nice place, new with digital distance display target controls, they would even flip the target sideways or reverse it. They had full auto rentals and were generally helpful and laid back...

But man that fee hurt.

Now we have a place where we live that is $10 plus $5 per extra person for one lane. ($5 fee for military/police, and sometimes former military if you get the right person doing the figuring).

They charge you $5 for using outside ammo for "lead cleanup" and picking up brass must be approved, and they mark it first before you enter the range.

We have a new range opening soon that I need to check out.
Old November 27, 2012, 09:01 PM   #35
USA SHARK

Marine6680, that sounds exactly like the target range we went to. Really nice with all of the amenities, but really pricey for the two of us. I will check around. A new friend of mine has access to a farm that he shoots at, so I will be lucky enough to do that once in a while.

Tahunua, I appreciate the humor and don't mean to give you a hard time in my response. I was excited about being part of this community and am hoping people aren't too judgemental for any of my rookie mistakes in posting.

I don't want to spend any more money than I have to on ammo, so I'll definitely keep my eyes open for great target rounds. I thought $13.00 for a box of 50 ($129 for 500) was about as good as it gets and that's why I thought I'd use them at the range, but maybe there is cheaper ammo out there. Not quite ready to load my own.
Old November 28, 2012, 08:59 AM   #36
btmj

For 9mm FMJ, anything less than $13 per box (50) is reasonable. Sometimes you can get it as low as $9.50 per box. I tend to buy 500 at a time from ammotogo.com, and the shipping costs are about the same as sales tax, but I don't have to drive 20 miles to get the ammo. But if I am at a gun shop or Cabellas and they have 9mm for less than $13/box, I will always pick up a box or two.

For me, reloading is about performance, not cost. I will reload rifle cartridges to optimize accuracy or other performance aspects. But if I have an extra 2 hours in my busy life, I am far better off to spend it working and making money than I am to spend the time making practice 9mm cartridges.
Old November 28, 2012, 11:45 AM   #37
polyphemus

Mr'Shark.life's a learning experience and knowing what it is you are shooting bullets with is an important part of being a gun owner(methinks).So stay cool and squeeeze the trigger,no offense.
Old November 28, 2012, 02:52 PM   #38
Ronbert

Start saving your brass (if you're allowed to) for when you start reloading.

Shooting that gun really well would be the best revenge on those who speak poorly of it. Ruger makes good, durable firearms.
Old November 28, 2012, 04:27 PM   #39
ponchsox

Don't ever tell your wife you purchased your last gun because it won't be the truth!
Old November 28, 2012, 06:20 PM   #40
USA SHARK

I have a strong feeling you are right Ponchsox! I already hinted to her that my next purchase will be a 1911 .45
Old November 28, 2012, 06:58 PM   #41
marine6680

The range was Shooter's choice in Piney Flats TN.

$13 a box of 50 is a good price for quality hollow points. Like was said, shoot a few boxes to test for reliable functioning in your pistols, then hold on to the rest and load them for defense, shoot a few every now and then to ensure you are familiar with the recoil. (maybe after unloading then reloading the same cartridge several times, put it to the side and when you get a few, shoot them)

The big reason to not shoot them up for general practice... The next time you go to buy some hollow points, you may be looking at 3 times that price for a box.
Old November 29, 2012, 05:45 PM   #42
dwhite

Yep, sounds like you need to discover.....

RELOADING!

Powders. Primers. Presses. Scrounging brass.

Great fun. More equipment. Get a lot more intimate with your guns.

Won't save much loading 9mm but you will on .40. With lead bullets I load
.40 for about 9 cents a piece.

All the Best,
D. White
Old November 29, 2012, 10:47 PM   #43
USA SHARK

Wow Dwhite. Sounds tempting, especially the .09 for the 40. That may be in our future too.
Old November 30, 2012, 11:32 AM   #44
dgludwig

Quote:
I see a .22LR handgun in your future.
Yep-and the sooner, the better. .22s are a great way to develop handgun shooting skills because you can focus on technique, sans the distractions of noise and recoil. And, most importantly, you can shoot a whole lot more for a lot less money.
And welcome to The Firing Line!