The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 2, 2008, 10:15 AM   #1
masterofcode

Sig Finish touchup

Just a question about finish touch ups. I just bought a sig P6 (P225 variant) that was a former German police pistol. It shoots great and is a wonderful piece. but the slide has a good amount of holster wear. I paid extra for a hand picked "VG" one so i can only imagine what the others look like. Anyway i was wondering how hard it is to touch up the finish, ive never doen anything like that before. also does anyone know what kind of finish it is. The slide is lighter than the frame. im pretty sure its not a standard blued finish. Oh and one other question, i guess more of a cleaning question. the barrel has some sort of corrosion on the stainless area (the outside of the chamber, i guess, see attached picture). i dont think its rust, but im not sure. Ive tried soaking it in hoppes #9 and it doesn't seam to remove it. i have scrubbed at it with no change. any suggestions on how to get that stuff off? Thanks.

pictures of the slide and barrel are attached if my message isn't clear. Thanks for the advise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slide.jpg (36.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg bar.jpg (122.9 KB, 75 views)
Old July 7, 2008, 09:24 PM   #2
Code A

Sig Re-Finishing

Sig Sauer is my handgun of choice. I own several. It's a shame the factory finish is so poor, but they shoot so well. I've had tremendous success restoring the finish on my P220, P226, P239, and P232 to that new look with a product I ordered from a Brownells catalog. The product is Oxpho-Blue. I used 4X steel wool on the slides, apply liberal amounts of Oxpho-Blue with a clean polishing cloth, allow it to stay on for a few minutes, then rub with the steel wool. Repeat this process until the desired sheen is obtained.
Old July 8, 2008, 05:46 PM   #3
oldandslow

master, 7/9/08

I have a number of sigs and have had problems with corrosion on the blued slides and the control levers. I have had all mine hard-chromed at a place called Techplate in California. They do excellent work, have good prices and short turn-around times. Look up their website at www.techplate.com and take a look at their firearms section. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow