The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 20, 2016, 02:40 PM   #1
tobnpr

K98 Safety Conversion- Dakota, or Timney??

For those with experience with these conversions...

First, application is (will be) a scoped .308 conversion.

The Timney (Featherweight Deluxe) provides a trigger-blocking safety; and (presumably) much better trigger. Conversions like the Dakota maintain the firing pin blocking safety but do nothing for the trigger.

Should there be concern that the trigger-blocking safety is any less "safe" than physically blocking the firing pin?

Owner had already purchased the Dakota, but is now re-thinking it.

Interested in hearing opinions from those that have the FW Deluxe Timney.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old June 21, 2016, 10:55 AM   #2
F. Guffey

I have one trigger blocking safety assemble for bottle neck cases, it sits in a drawer while I decide if I will use it. If it was an integral part of the trigger guard I would have already used it.

F. Guffey
Old June 21, 2016, 12:04 PM   #3
kilimanjaro

As long as you don't load your rifle chamber until immediately before firing the rifle, either safety mechanism is fine. If you are prone to handling the rifle with a loaded chamber, then the firing pin block is best.
Old June 21, 2016, 02:37 PM   #4
Scorch

My opinion FWIW for a M98 or similar rifle:
A Timney trigger is a quick and effortless upgrade. I do a lot of them, quick, easy, and nearly always effective right from the box. However, it leaves the military safety hanging out there, so it doesn't always give the most aesthetic solution. The "proper" (whatever that means) way to do it is to also replace the bolt shroud with a "FN style" commercial bolt shroud (ironic because FN didn't use them until the late 1950s). This will give you a nicely streamlined appearance commercial Mausers were famous for.

The Dakota (Model 70 type) safety is very well made, effective, and very pleasing to look at. However, many people leave the military trigger in place, which gives less than satisfactory results. The proper way to do it if you opt for the Dakota safety is to install a Dayton-Traister or Timney trigger without the side safety in order to complete the job.
Old June 21, 2016, 03:43 PM   #5
ligonierbill

As an amateur, I have installed both the Timney trigger with trigger block safety plus FN bolt shroud and the Timney trigger without safety plus Timney's version of the old Buehler safety. Can't say I prefer one over the other, but if I had a Model 70 type safety, I'd sure use it with a "no safety" Timney trigger. I was a little nervous about installing the M70 safety, or I'd have gone that way.
Old June 21, 2016, 06:43 PM   #6
tobnpr

Spoke with the customer and MOL echoed Kilimanjaro's thoughts...
If it's a "range" rifle, doesn't much matter trigger block or firing pin/cp IMO.
Carried round in the chamber, I'd stay with the firing pin block.

I only own a couple of K98's and don't shoot them much- and while the trigger is "OK" for what it is- it's still an old gritty heavy pull *%*! to me. But, customer tells me he likes the military trigger- so it will remain; and apparently he's decided to just go with a Buehler style safety on it.

Thanks for the input.
www.biggorillagunworks.com