The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 26, 2009, 08:18 AM   #1
dropthehammer

Leupold Rifleman opinion

Just wanted to share my opinion in case any of you are considering buying one of these scopes. I recently purchased a used 3-9x40 Leupold Rifleman series scope. I have Leupolds on all of my scoped hunting guns. I think the Leupold has always been a good value for the money. I buy mine used, and have been happy with the quality,......until now. I purchased this scope online, having never actually looked at this model in person. With my past experience, didn't think I could go wrong with the Leupold. The power and eye adjustments require a strap wrench for adjustment. The optics are horrible. Windage and elevation adjustments are decent and the scope zeroed easily, and appeared to hold zero after 10 shots. I guess you get what you pay for, but I expected a little more from Leupold. I was zeroing another rifle at the same time, this rifle was equipped with a $70 BSA Catseye scope. I don't know how the BSA will hold up over time, or what, if any warranty it has, but it was 10x better quality than the Leupold at 1/3 the cost. Maybe this Leupold is just a bad one. Check the Rifleman series out before you buy. Happy Thanksgiving and safe hunting.
Old November 26, 2009, 01:46 PM   #2
sholling

The Rifleman isn't much of a scope. It's just an entry level model for those that refuse to invest in good glass. I always suggest to people on a tight budget that they look at Weaver instead.
Old December 1, 2009, 04:01 AM   #3
bamaranger

send it back

Contact leupold, tell'em you aren't happy. Send'em the scope.

That doesn't sound right, even for the Rifleman series.
Old December 6, 2009, 03:50 AM   #4
slickab

re: rifleman

I have a Leupold 4-12X40 Rifleman scope on my predator hunter. It is a good scope, adjustments work fine, are not stiff or loose. At first I did not know what to think about the friction knobs as opposed to knobs that click, but they work great also.
Old December 6, 2009, 06:37 AM   #5
riggins_83

I've not been impressed with Leupold Rifleman scopes. Overall for the money I think Nikon Buckmasters is clearer...