The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2009, 02:51 PM   #1
jbyerly

OACL??

Is there a chart that shows the recommended OACL for various calibers. I read and somewhat understand measuring your individual firearm to determine an OACL, but what numbers do commercial manufacturers use and where can I find that info?

Thanks
Old April 13, 2009, 03:39 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Manuals. COL varies with different bullet wgts and styles within a given caliber.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old April 13, 2009, 03:41 PM   #3
James R. Burke

First you need to get some good manuals, and read them paying attention to the safety warnings, and doing what they say. It is to easy to make a typo giving out info on the net. Dont believe it till you confirm it with a manual. Everyone hear will give you great advice, and steer you in the right direction. The manuals are very important, and the more you have the better, I have a few for general advice, and try to get the one for the maker of the bullet you will be using. That way you can cross check things, and get advice from this forum. C.O.L.'s vary from rifle to rifle, and that you will need to determine. There are a few ways to do this, plus the manual will give you some advice on this. I know I really did not answer your question, because you left alot of info out of it. Have fun, and keep it safe!!!!!!
Old April 13, 2009, 05:48 PM   #4
wncchester

"Proper" OAL is much agonized over by loaders of little experience and it need not/should not be. OAL ain't critical to safely and it's largely up to the user. What you see in the loading books is only the OAL the book makers used to compile the data for that bullet in the gun they used. You aren't using their firearm and that's okay because ANY book's OAL is only given as a starting point; it is NOT a "law" to be slavishly followed or you might die!

For pistols, either seat to match, or nearly match, simular factory loads OR seat so the crimp groove is at the case mouth.

For rifles, seat at least a little off the lands AND short enough to feed through the magazine. After you find your chosen load, vary the seating depth until you find the best OAL for YOUR RIFLE AND BULLET! For sporting rifles, that is rarely at the lands and many shoot best as far back as .125" or more off the lands.

Last edited by wncchester; April 13, 2009 at 05:59 PM.