The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 10, 2014, 06:39 PM   #1
Capybara

My First Spanish C&R - Astra 600

Finally took delivery of my first Spanish gun, a 1945 Astra 600. I scored a very good deal that I couldn't pass up on Gunboards. This model has a very interesting history, the Spanish manufactured them for the Nazis after the success of the Astra 400. Astra was able to ship the first 10,450 to the Nazis, but as soon as they manufactured the next run, France fell and all of the dynamics of the war relegated most of these to sitting in a warehouse. They were later sold to the West German police as well as the Portuguese Navy. This sample is well used but my gosh does the action feel precise and it is a heavy beast. I have not weighed it yet but it feels heavier than my SA 1911-A1. The magazine is serial number matched to the frame and the frame and slide serials match. Bore is nice and shiny with minimal debris in the grooves.

I have not cleaned it or shot it yet but I am looking forward to doing so and will post a range report.

Old December 10, 2014, 10:44 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Like the 400, the 600 is a straight blowback. Those were among the few blowback pistols made in a powerful caliber (9mm Largo for the 400, 9mm Parabellum for the 600), although both guns place the hammer at a mechanical disadvantage to effect some delay to the slide.

They are very accurate, though the sights are not the greatest, but the recoil is stiff. I recommend sticking to standard 9mm P. ammo, not +P.

Unfortunately, many of those guns have been damaged by folks trying to turn the barrel bushing lock without pushing in the barrel bushing. Also, make sure to capture the lock and bushing; the spring is powerful and those parts can take off at high speed if not controlled.

Jim
Old December 10, 2014, 11:46 PM   #3
Capybara

Thanks for the info. I found a YouTube video of a guy carefully and slowly explaining how to break it down without launching the springs and parts across the room. It didn't look too much harder than a 1911 and I think 1911s are easy. The only thing that looked totally different was how you have to carefully rotate the barrel. I'll slowly and gently give it a try when I break it dfown for cleaning and inspection.