The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 13, 2009, 10:52 PM   #1
arkieron

Kimber 1911 tactical FTF

I just purchased the first two 1911s that I have owned since 1980. Shooting at the range today, the Kimber Tactical Custom II FTF about 4 times in the first two mags. These were white box Winchesters. The hammer would just fall with a click. Hand chamber rounds always fired. I believe that the slide was not going back into battery. I also shot several mags through my newly acquired Sig 1911 Carry 4 inch without any incident. I took my kimber over a couple of bays and had an expert fire it. He went through 3 clips in a few seconds with out any problem which made me feel like a dummy. Obvious the pistol didn't like my grip. I fired two more clips without problem using a much tighter grip. I had this problem with my glock until I changed the recoil sping and guide. I put in a noncaptured lighter recoil spring. That eliminated the problem. and the G34 shoots even reloads without problem.

I don't remember the old military 1911s being susceptible way back when i was shooting with one hand instead of the two I use now. Why doesn't the Sig object to my 65 year old grip? I didn't think my original grip was that light. The Kimber is a 2003 model, but doesn't appear to have been fired a bunch judging by the condition of the alloy frame. Do I need to go heavier or lighter on the recoil spring? Anything else I need to consider other than wrist curls and a hand squeezer? thanks for any help. Ron
Old December 14, 2009, 01:20 AM   #2
Nnobby45

Quote:
Do I need to go heavier or lighter on the recoil spring? Anything else I need to consider other than wrist curls and a hand squeezer? thanks for any help. Ron
Your buddy put 3 magazines thru the gun just fine. Don't think the solution is modifying the gun with different springs to compensate for what you do different.

If you don't believe the slide is going back into battery, then a visual inspection will easily confirm that. It's possible that limb wristing can allow the slide to operate just barely enough to eject the round, but not not all the way back to give it the forward momentum it needs to reliably chamber a round.

Make sure your grip fully depresses the grip safety. That can be borderline with some who have small hands, and who rest thumb on top of the safety when shooting. Releasing the safety and and then bringing the thumb up can be done quickly, and it also allows the fleshy part of the hand below the thumb to go all the way forward and fully depress the safety.

If the gun is pretty new, then more rds. put thru the gun will help break it in, also.
Old December 14, 2009, 05:09 AM   #3
jborushko

newer "high end" 1911 are made with tighter tollerences, this might be the source of your problems if you dont hold on your gun properly. tighten up your grip.

or start looking for new grips that fit your hand better, or maybe the mainspring housing or grip safties - these partws can be swapped out ones that have more or less metel - check our wilson combat http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_beaver...afeties_di.asp pretty

much what nnobby45 said

but yeah break it in first 500rds or so

recoil spiring shouldnt be a factor yet any way, and 16lbs recoil spring is standard for a 5" 1911, 20lbs for a 4", and 22lbs for a 3"
Old December 14, 2009, 05:28 AM   #4
comn-cents

I'd just shoot it more and see what happens.
Old December 14, 2009, 10:08 AM   #5
BombthePeasants

Arkieron, that gun is still in the break-in phase, I probably only shot about 400 rounds through it. Also, when shooting it, I would make sure that a small amount of good gun grease was at the point where the frame and slide interchanged. I used Militec gun grease, but any good quality one would suffice. I mainly stuck with Wilson Combat 47D magazines, I don't remember using any other brands. What brand magazine are you using? Always the first culprit.
Old December 14, 2009, 10:56 AM   #6
rbernie

New Kimbers can be susceptible to failures to fully return to battery if the firing pin plunger isn't well greased/oiled. I assume that you field-stripped the pistol and lubed it before firing it (as should be done with all new pistols). If not, do so and be sure to drip a drop of oil down the sides of the firing pin plunger (holding the slide upside down).
Old December 18, 2009, 11:11 AM   #7
arkieron

Thanks for the suggestions.

I sure don't think it was mag related after watching a GM type pour 3 mags through it like a buzz saw. I think it was definately operator error, and maybe the lighter weight of the tactical requires more of a death grip.

I did cure a g-34 by installing a 15 lb open recoil spring and guide rod, but the 1911 kimber already has a 16 lb spring. The suggestion on ms housing may be a good one, because a flat fits my hand better. I am going to reinstall the one that bomber provided. l agree with the suggestion to shoot it a bunch more.

I sure wish the sig had that Kimber trigger. The Kimber is almost on lb. lighter pull, but the kimber trigger face is also much more comfortable. I think that Kimber must use a lighter mainspring because the sig has a lot heavier feel to the hammer. Ron