The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 17, 2014, 11:24 AM   #1
SVTCobra306

USA headstamp brass from Freedom

Has anyone used USA headstamp brass from Freedom Munitions? Just trying to see if anybody knows who makes it for them. I had gotten boxes of their "new" ammo that had all Federal (FC) cases previously, but the latest shipment from my LGS has all "USA" headstamp brass on their new ammo.

I'm hoping to have an existing place to sort them into.. I'm starting to get kind of a ridiculous amount of containers LOL
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old June 17, 2014, 12:15 PM   #2
hartcreek

OCD or what?

Who except match shooters sort their brass unless a certain head stamp is known to have problems?
Old June 17, 2014, 12:34 PM   #3
skizzums

not me, unless making ammo for 500yrds plus
Old June 17, 2014, 12:42 PM   #4
SVTCobra306

I would venture a guess that the vast majority of successful handloaders likely sort their brass to at least some extent..

I don't go as far as sorting, say, different years of LC brass.. but I keep LC separate from Federal, and I sort further into crimped/uncrimped within a given headstamp. Since I batch size, swage, trim, and prime, this way I at least don't have to find out about crimped pockets by having it jam my priming tool..
Old June 20, 2014, 11:59 AM   #5
snuffy

Anybody that does NOT separate rifle brass by headstamp, is being lazy and foolish. Not doing so results in inconsistencies in your loads.

There's enough variables in loading technique, not controlling one that is so easy to do is foolish. There's enough differences in different brands to cause trouble.

You'll see it show up in high extreme spreads (ES), and high standard deviations (SD) on a chronograph. You might get a nice small group @ 100 yards, but beyond that, you'll see vertical stringing.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 20, 2014, 04:48 PM   #6
WESHOOT2

Starline / Remington / others; hard to know who's making their cases.

Did you ask them?
Old June 20, 2014, 09:58 PM   #7
SVTCobra306

Haven't asked them yet. I wanted to make sure nobody else had, I don't want to be the 50th dude bugging them about the same thing LOL!
Old June 21, 2014, 07:48 AM   #8
chiefr

It is only logical to examine your brass for defects, especially if it is new, been fired, or range pickup. Then is the best time to sort.

If I want consistency and precision, I sort my cases. I AWAYS want precision and consistency so I sort my brass.
Old June 21, 2014, 11:12 AM   #9
LE-28

Quote:
If I want consistency and precision, I sort my cases. I AWAYS want precision and consistency so I sort my brass.
I do also, it does make a difference. With pistol I sort Feds, Wins, Rems, PMC, (the common range pickups) and all others go in the mixed brass can for shooting when I can't recover my brass or for trading stock.

As boring as it is, it's still more interesting than watching Peppa Pig when my grandkids are here, which is a lot lately, so I have lots of sorted brass.
Old June 22, 2014, 09:23 PM   #10
Longshot4

We all have our reasons to reload. Some want lots for plinking or just burning it up. Some want hunting loads for big game at 100-200 yds. Some want target loads. If you want to make small groups try sorting it sure dose help. So do what you want and enjoy what you do.