The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old January 19, 2012, 10:58 PM   #1
dvdcrr

compact home defense carbines

I am looking for a rifle like this:

a short lightweight carbine for home defense, very low recoil round like 45 acp or 40 cal. I would like something semi auto and the ability to mount a bright light on the front. What options are out there? This would be for a 105 lb woman who lives by herself with very little firearms experience, hence the above specifications. Thanks in advance for any help provided.
Old January 19, 2012, 11:07 PM   #2
oakfloor

M-1 Carbine.
Old January 19, 2012, 11:09 PM   #3
bigghoss

well hi-point makes carbines in .40 and .45 and they come with rails for mounting accessories.

gender makes no difference,and stature is moot with proper technique, and lack of experience is hopefully where you come in. I would never recommend someone purchase a gun unless they were willing to learn to use it properly and that means more than a trip to the range and then stick it in the closet.

I have to ask: why not something like an AR15?
Old January 19, 2012, 11:11 PM   #4
CWKahrFan

Click to view Hi-Point Carbine in .40... 7 lbs... $329 + transfer:
I've read a lot of positive testimony on the web...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...RBINE+TS+LASER

The KelTec only weighs 4 lbs... $406 + transfer:

http://galleryofguns.com/genie/Defau...sit=&pid=&inv=

Last edited by CWKahrFan; January 19, 2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old January 19, 2012, 11:18 PM   #5
Swampghost

Nothing 'low recoil' in either of those rounds in a carbine, auto might be a problem as well.

Sounds like your looking for a 22LR, something that she would fire well and have plenty of rounds.
Old January 19, 2012, 11:28 PM   #6
dvdcrr

ar-15 would work I guess. I was thinking something in a pistol caliber. 22lr might work with the velocitors. M1 carbine is a decent idea. I appreciate all the input and any more forthcoming.
Old January 19, 2012, 11:35 PM   #7
Polinese

Rock River makes some 9 and 40 ar "pistols" run off a blowback mechanism if i'm not mistaken. Could be worth looking into
Old January 19, 2012, 11:36 PM   #8
CWKahrFan

It's all relative... I consider .40's or .45's out of a carbine to be pretty mild recoil-wise... The ones I linked are also available in 9mm.

Last edited by CWKahrFan; January 19, 2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old January 19, 2012, 11:42 PM   #9
bigghoss

it doesn't HAVE to be an AR15 but something in a 5.56 cambering is going to be roughly the same weight as most of the other options, it probably isn't going to recoil any more and in some cases the felt recoil may be LESS. 5.56 is more effective with the right ammo and sometimes penetrate less through walls, and will likely have 30 rounds on tap. The big factor with an AR15 or similar rifle is cost. the hi-point options are under $300 and a decent AR is 3x that. there are .22 conversions/upper/rifles that will let you offset some cost but you'd have to shoot a lot to make that compute, which I recommend but THAT much shooting isn't feasible for many.
Old January 19, 2012, 11:45 PM   #10
LockedBreech

What about a Beretta CX-4 Storm?
Old January 19, 2012, 11:48 PM   #11
SundownRider

I have a CMMG lower mated with an Olympic Arms 40 cal upper. Recoil is very mild, and the gun is very accurate. Hollow points screaming out of that system would ruin a person's day.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old January 19, 2012, 11:50 PM   #12
CWKahrFan

Quote:
What about a Beretta CX-4 Storm?
Yeah, Cool if one wants to get into the $700 range...
Old January 19, 2012, 11:52 PM   #13
Bill DeShivs

Keltec Sub 2000.
Old January 19, 2012, 11:59 PM   #14
Father Time

Quote:
Sounds like your looking for a 22LR, something that she would fire well and have plenty of rounds

I wouldn't get a .22 for home defence... There are reasons fighting guns don't use rimfire ammo.

OP it would help if you added a price range. But without one I would say:

M1 Carbine (not really a pistol caliber)
Beretta CX4 Storm
Kel-Tec Sub 2000

And really really really consider a .223 caliber carbine. AR15, Mini 14, Saiga, are all good options. In an AR15 the recoil impulse is about the same as a .40 or .45 and you will get a much more effective round with greater range.
Old January 19, 2012, 11:59 PM   #15
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWKahrFan View Post
Yeah, Cool if one wants to get into the $700 range...
Where did the OP list a price ceiling? I think $700 is reasonable for Beretta quality.

Though I do wish I'd gotten on that when Bud's had the $600 sale!
Old January 20, 2012, 12:15 AM   #16
CWKahrFan

The thread is just evolving... No limits or negativity about price coming from me... Just facts...
Old January 20, 2012, 12:32 AM   #17
bigghoss

a price range would help.

a saiga .223 can be had inexpensive enough. and the US-made railed handguard to mount a light to would get your parts count down where you could get US-made large capacity mags and be in compliance with 922r. mag changes are trickier but with practice can done quick enough. You will have to get mags specific to the saiga unless you want to do the work to take cheaper .223 ak mags. might save you a bit of money but since you're not going to buy a pallet of them I wouldn't bother for your purpose.
Old January 20, 2012, 12:34 AM   #18
thedaddycat

Marlin Camp 9 or Camp 45. You can use S&W 59 series mags in the 9 and 1911 mags in the 45 so if you decide to get a companion handgun you have compatability of both mags and ammo.
Old January 20, 2012, 12:36 AM   #19
Dave R

Quote:
Keltec Sub 2000.
This. Just got one, and I'm enjoying it. Mine's in .40. Much easier to shoot accurately than a handgun. Will likely be the lowest cost option. Mine was $350 out the door. Optional "chin" rail makes it easy to mount a kight or laser.
Old January 20, 2012, 12:38 AM   #20
TheGoldenState

Quote:
This would be for a 105 lb woman who lives by herself with very little firearms experienc

Personally, I don't feel that the criteria you listed lends itself to a proper firearm for the person with the experience level laid out. Which, of course, is not to say that it's wrong or cannot be executed effectively.

I would strongly recommend changing the idea all together.

A revolver in .357/.38 (.38 for practice, .357 IF she wanted more punch, though the .38 would work just fine).

Simple, no jams, no handling bolts/slides, no magazines, no failures (in general--calm down).

Point, pull, bang.

Rail/light can be added to many.

my .02

Good luck.

PS: If you INSIST on a pistol cartridge carbine, and are looking for soft recoil, why not go 9mm?
Old January 20, 2012, 01:06 AM   #21
Fargazer

I'll second the CX4 Storm; I purchased mine for around $550 during an event, and got 5 extra magazines with it. However, I don't think that's your best option.

My wife and I use a 20 gauge Remington 870 pump with a Supercell recoil pad and an Elzetta flashlight mount (holds most tactical flashlights, not just their brand). Figure $400 for the shotgun, $20 for the recoil pad, $40 for the flashlight, and around $100 for a tactical flashlight (one whose switch is on the butt). You may be able to find cheaper.

For that cash (and possibly a fee for someone to put it together, though it's not hard to do), you get a relatively soft shooting, controllable weapon with more stopping power than a .44 Magnum. It is a pump, not a semi-auto, but a pump is more reliable, and for home defense you want to follow the KISS principle.

Whatever you get, you need to practice; having a weapon in the house that you shoot once in a blue moon is more of a danger to you than a help. A shotgun is the best home defense weapon, and the configuration I outlined is pretty soft shooting; however, there are fewer places to practice with one. Here's what I suggest:
  • Get some training; look for some sort of introductory course to firearms from your local gun store, or check the NRA site. Do this as part of the selection process, and get whatever advice you can get from your instructor.
  • If there's an outdoor range or a friend's house where you can practice with the shotgun, I recommend the shotgun I outlined above.
  • If there isn't a place to practice with the shotgun, but you can find a place to practice with a carbine or a pistol, then choose that weapon. Not because they are better than the shotgun - they aren't - but because you will be better served by a weapon you can practice with than one you cannot.
    • If you think you might eventually conceal carry, go for the pistol, probably in a semi-auto 9mm or .38 revolver.
    • If this is strictly home defense, consider the pistol caliber carbine.
Sorry to be long winded; hope that helps some
Old January 20, 2012, 01:17 AM   #22
Wyosmith

How about an AK47?
Old January 20, 2012, 01:19 AM   #23
kraigwy

I'd vote for the M1 Carbine. It's not the Wosss people think.

Here is a great article on the little rifle.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=48792
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 20, 2012, 01:56 AM   #24
Mike38

I’ve always told women that want a home defense firearm that do not want a handgun to check into the Mossberg HS410 shotgun. It’s a pump action gun with a 6 or 9 (I don’t remember which) magazine. A three inch .410 shell with buck shot would make an intruder think twice after taking 2 or 3 rounds to the chest.

Saiga also makes a .410 version of their AK pattern shotguns. I think they come with a 5 round detachable magazine.

A handgun is my first choice for home defense, my second choice would be a shotgun. I really don’t consider a rifle as a home defense weapon, but some people do.
Old January 20, 2012, 02:15 AM   #25
C0untZer0

Kel-Tec's RFB

8lbs
26" OAL
7.62 NATO

PS90

6.28lbs
26.23” OAL
5.7x28mm

FS2000

7.58 lbs
29.29” OAL
5.56 NATO

I really like the look of the Mossberg 930 SPX. I don't think pumps are more reliable than auto-loaders anymore. The best auto-loading shotguns are very reliable now and very consistent.

Last edited by C0untZer0; January 20, 2012 at 02:29 AM.
Closed Thread