The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 4, 2013, 02:33 PM   #26
22-rimfire

I think the rimfire cleaning issue most relates to the barrel and not the powder residue and other crud that can build up. One should not totally ignore cleaning 22's simply because they are 22's. I have to clean around the chamber of my TC 22 rifle or it will simply not "run" for very long. Same applies to High Standard 22 pistols that many have in high regard. I take cleaning materials with me to the range when I shoot these.

Added: I think you should always consider the total cost that includes sales tax, transfer fees, and shipping when considering or comparing costs. But I tend to dismiss the sale tax issue and prefer to buy from a local gun shop. But if I have to order something, then I see little reason to "order" something from a local gunshop unless you intend to use their lawaway plan. That is a bit unfair to a gunshop when you order something that they don't carry normally however. Some want a pretty strong payment prior to ordering something.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; March 4, 2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old March 4, 2013, 02:49 PM   #27
MrAcheson

Hope your gun works out better than my rough rider did.
Old March 4, 2013, 03:55 PM   #28
Carmady

Here's another cool one, with mag cylinder.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/118501...um-5-1-2in-bbl
Old March 4, 2013, 05:14 PM   #29
deerslayer303

^^ Very nice indeed. You should snipe that sucker! I know I would if I didn't just spend about that amount the other night.
Old March 5, 2013, 10:18 AM   #30
Tad_T

These are my Single Action .22's:

Single Six

Virginian

Three Rough Riders

They are all good revolvers and shoot well.

I usually carry the Virginian cross draw when I am hunting. I need it for squirrels and such.
Old March 5, 2013, 01:44 PM   #31
rclark

I bought the RR .22 on a lark a few years back now. Worked like a charm. Still going strong too. Hate the safety ... but it is what it is! I also have a Single Six. I can't tell between them which is more accurate.... and isn't that what it is all about? Accuracy? Fun? Anyway, the RR my 'look' a little rough, but it sure does shoot! I prefer the Single Six, but have nothing bad to say about the RR.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old March 7, 2013, 04:01 PM   #32
CajunBass

I said in an earlier post that I had been thinking about getting a Rough Rider, "Just because." Well, today I found one, and picked it up. It's a dual cylinder model, with a 6" barrel.

Everything seems to fit reasonably well. The action locks up tight. The fixed sights are lined up properly. The finish which appears to be some kind of paint looks to be nice and smooth. Same for the grips No big gaps, or anything, if they are rather plain.

A lot of people don't seem to like the safety. I don't see a lot of sense to it, but do you have to use it? It seems to me that you can load one,, skip one, load four, let the hammer down on an emply chamber, and just leave the safety alone. Am I missing something?

Quote:
Comparing it to a Single Six is unfair, in my opinion. It's apples to oranges, the RR is not meant to be that kind of gun.
Quote:
Not unfair in my opinion. The only thing else that you might compare it to is a Uberti revolver and they are hit or miss from my reading. I have been tempted more than once.
I don't think it compares to a Single-Six. The SS is a better gun. It also costs more than twice as much NIB. Even used ones are about twice the price. It really reminds me more of a Colt Frontier Scout than anything else.

I might take it down the hill with a handful of cartridges, and a soup can tomorrow.

Sorry, no picture. I tried, but the sun off the snowfield behind the house just washed out the camera. Maybe later.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 7, 2013, 11:03 PM   #33
deerslayer303

Cajun,
Thanks for the post, I'm looking forward to your range report. Mine should be here tomorrow, but I have weekend duty this weekend so I won't get to try it out till next week.
Old March 8, 2013, 06:37 AM   #34
CajunBass

Don't look for anything as formal as a "range report." About all I'll do is toss a can on the ground and see if I can hit it. About all I'll be able to tell you is "It works" or "it doesn't work".

I did get a picture of it...sort of.

Old March 8, 2013, 08:07 AM   #35
Wild-Bill

A good looking gun.
I am temped to buy the same gun with optic sites. My FFL has one, both cylinders.
You go out and shoot it and it shoots, that's all the others will do. Seems a lot of emphasis is placed on the Manufactures name. And the saying you get what you pay for. Go out and buy a Chevrolet and compare to a BMW ??? Both will get you from point A to point B.
Maybe re-sale is better with another brand, but did you buy it to resell ?
Go have fun SHOOTING.
Old March 8, 2013, 09:10 AM   #36
22-rimfire

I find it interesting how the some of the folks that really never wanted one are giving one a try... just because. That's okay. I have considered it myself. I'm waiting for CraigC to buy one. Don't know if he posts on this forum.
Old March 8, 2013, 10:31 AM   #37
deerslayer303

I called Heritage this morning. A magnum cylinder is 30 bucks. So thats still under the price for the combo. But she said I will need to wait till I get the pistol because she needs the serial number to place the order for the cylinder. Why does she need the Serial number?
Old March 8, 2013, 12:19 PM   #38
rclark

Quote:
A lot of people don't seem to like the safety.
Because it is ugly sticking out the side.... Ruins the lines of a Single Action. It's not that I use it (I don't which is another reason to gripe why it's there...). If in the field I'd load five. At the range I load 6 as I immediately go from half cock to full cock for a shot down range.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old March 8, 2013, 12:38 PM   #39
CajunBass

Quote:
Because it is ugly sticking out the side....
I guess. I don't really notice it. Like the keyhole in the side of a Smith & Wesson, it's just something else on the gun.

Now if it were on a Colt New Frontier (remember, Colt had a similar safety on those toward the end, but Colt hid it better.) I'd probably like it a lot less, but on one of these, it's not a big deal to me.

Quote:
A magnum cylinder is 30 bucks. So thats still under the price for the combo.
Deerslayer, that's one reason I bought this particular gun. Shop had one that was just 22 LR, but the guy told me he'd sell me the dual cylinder one for same price. I didn't really care about the magnun cylinder, but figured I might as well get it. If I ever sell the gun, it will be easier to sell.

I just came back from "down the hill" where I've been punching holes in a soup can with it. Worked fine of course, as I expected. I either hit the can, or at least scared it every shot. It's a fun plinker anyway.

Quote:
I'm waiting for CraigC to buy one.
Well, I'm sure now that I've purchased one, and written this glowing report, he'll rush right out and buy a matched set.
Old March 8, 2013, 01:58 PM   #40
deerslayer303

Well I just got back from picking up my little budget plinker. Mine looks exactly like Cajun's, right down to the same grips. So I'm not going to post a pic. Besides his pic was prettier than any one I could post. Well I would have to say I'm impressed. The gun looks fantastic. Everything fits and functions as it should. Timing is right on the money. The frame and grip frame are either painted or powder coated, which it doesn't look to bad. The barrel and cylinder are blued (I think) and the ejector housing is painted/powder coated. Here is a breakdown of the parts as in material. Frame: Alloy, Grip Frame: Alloy, Loading Gate: Steel, Hammer: Steel, Trigger Guard: Alloy, Trigger: Steel, Bolt and Hand: Steel, Ejector Rod and Housing: Steel, Barrel: Steel (I would hope so ) Front Sight: Steel, Cylinder: Steel, and all screws are Steel. I don't have time to kill the evil cans today, I'll do that next week. As far as the safety, well I like it. I will carry this pistol some on the farm (when I'm not carrying my cap and ball) and being able to carry all six, with the hammer blocked is a good thing for me. That and I didn't empty my piggie bank paying for it. Now go order you one, Classicfirearms.com has plenty of them at a SMOKIN GOOD DEAL. Ya'll take care!
OH, and this thing comes with a real beefy keyed trigger lock, not one of those plastic doo hickey's you get with other budget guns.

Last edited by deerslayer303; March 8, 2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old March 8, 2013, 03:07 PM   #41
rclark

Quote:
OH, and this thing comes with a real beefy keyed trigger lock, not one of those plastic doo hickey's you get with other budget guns.
In my part of the world, those get deep six'ed in the round file anyway . Enjoy!!!
Old March 8, 2013, 11:34 PM   #42
Newton24b

the need for the serial number to the factory person, its so that they can pull the number up in thier records and send a cylinder with the correct finish on it. they dont want a customer to order a blued cylinder for a matte stainless one, and vice cersa.

its a fun gun. the only bad thing is cleaning it. and its toooooo easy to shoot fast and hit your target.

dont speed shoot it. LET it COOL down. 120 rounds in a half hour period is to much in my opinion. really put a carbon ring on.

id suggest after every few cylinders wipe the cylinder face down with a rag dipped in #9
Old March 15, 2013, 11:53 AM   #43
deerslayer303

Alright I shot the RR yesterday. Fun little plinker no doubt. It functions flawlessly. I ran 200 rounds through it, it got dirty but kept chuggin right along. It groups very well, but shoots 2 inches to the left. How do I go about correcting this? I'm afraid I will snap the front sight off. It looks like it is soldered in there.
Old March 15, 2013, 01:36 PM   #44
Wild-Bill

Aim 2" to the right.
Old March 15, 2013, 01:57 PM   #45
Cheapshooter

Because mine was off a lot more than 2", and it was a sub $200 NIB gun anyway, I took the chance involved in bending my front sight...carefully! Everything worked well. It is right on now, although it doesn't take a long look to see the port list to the front sight.
Cajun, as for the obnoxious safety, I keep it in the safe position because the gun looks stupid with it in the fire position. Then, I forget about the thing because it is completely abnormal on a S/A. Lots of "click..........damns" until I shoot it for a while.
Funny, I never have a problem forgetting the safety on a gun that should have one on it!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 16, 2013, 06:40 PM   #46
CajunBass

Quote:
Cajun, as for the obnoxious safety, I keep it in the safe position because the gun looks stupid with it in the fire position. Then, I forget about the thing because it is completely abnormal on a S/A. Lots of "click..........damns" until I shoot it for a while.
I do the same thing. Usually the first shot at the range or out back behind the hog pen. After that I just leave it off, and put it back on when I go home. I'll probably forget it the next time I take it out.

Ratzlefracken.....
Old March 17, 2013, 02:31 PM   #47
Cheapshooter

I'm really starting to like on that little birds head model with the mother of pearl grips. Ya know you guys, and this thread are gonna cost me money If I see one at the LGS.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 17, 2013, 06:36 PM   #48
Tad_T

It's a really good little revolver.

It shoots to point of aim. It came with both LR and Magnum cylinders.

Both my wife and my daughter have tried to put the glom on it because "it's cute." Kinda like Kraig's wife.

I like it a lot. It's a whole lot cheaper than a Shopkeeper and probably just about as fun.
Old March 18, 2013, 05:14 PM   #49
Wild-Bill

Well, I can't agree with anyone on the RR, not yet.
Mine 3 days old right out of the box, defective. Would not lock up on three chambers, FTF's. Cocking would back the cyl up. Three chambers in a row. Mag cyl functions perfect.
Heritage says ship cyl back and they will ship new one. I'm going to try and get them to ship cyl with return ship label. Why should I have to stand for the shipping on a FTF right out of the box.
Wish me luck.
Glad everyone else's is doin' great. I was so anxious to use this RR SA in the "Cowboy Shoot" my club had last Friday night. Brand new gun wouldn't fire, embarassed me big time.
I now know I should have test fired it at the dealers location.
Old March 18, 2013, 09:20 PM   #50
deerslayer303

Sorry to hear that Wild Bill. Definitely not a time to have a new pistol act up. But I bet Heritage will do you right. Their customer service seems to be on the up and up. Let us know how it works out. And if you can post pics of the problem with yours. Maybe that will help others on their unboxing inspection.