The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2010, 09:06 AM   #1
CWPinSC

.380 ACP FMJ & .45 LC Plated or FMJ

Any good sources for these bullets? I don't need a company that's terminally "backordered".
Old May 18, 2010, 09:18 AM   #2
Lavid2002

I dont know about both, but go browse the for sale sections. I remember there was a vendor on here quite recently who had a whole slew of bullets for sale at a very good price. Plated bullets.

Let me see if I can find it for ya

Ah

There it is...
He has both by the way
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389555

-Dave
Old May 18, 2010, 09:31 AM   #3
Sevens

.380 not FMJ, but rather plated -- at the speeds I shoot .380 at, I find that Berry's flate base plated RN work VERY well.

My last Berry's order was a week ago... they had it to my door in five business days. Any order over $50 is free shipping.

I also use their .45 cal 200gr plated SWC, but not sure about .45 Colt bullets.

I use plated when I'm sure I can keep the velocity under 1,200 FPS.

Order direct from Berry's -- good stuff.
Old May 18, 2010, 09:38 AM   #4
Lavid2002

It says they have .380 Hollow points....no?
Old May 18, 2010, 09:08 PM   #5
CWPinSC

Thanks guys! Keep the suggestions coming.
Old May 20, 2010, 11:49 PM   #6
colospgsAVID

90 grain Hornady XTP, .355 diameter jacketed hollow point. You do mean .380 Auto, right?
Old May 21, 2010, 01:05 AM   #7
golfnutrlv

LongdayJake at RMR offers great bullets. Shot some today, flawless.

Here is another option as well:
http://www.montanagoldbullet.com/index.html
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old May 21, 2010, 01:30 AM   #8
zxcvbob

I bought a box of Berry's .380 plated bullets a couple of weeks ago at Cabela's. I got the hollow-base ones because for some reason they were cheaper. Also should have a longer bearing surface to engage the rifling. Haven't had a chance to shoot them yet, but they look purdy.
Old May 21, 2010, 02:26 AM   #9
Valornor

Plus one for Berries .380 plated...they shoot nicely from my lcp and I ordered some .45 200rnd rainer plated a month or so ago. Had to order in bulk because the small packages weren't available, but good results so far.

Edit: Must be going blind...didn't see the LC...never mind on the .45

Last edited by Valornor; May 23, 2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:10 AM   #10
colospgsAVID

I don't like how bullet manufacturers put CARTRIDGE names on bullets. Just look at the diameter and grains of weight. I bought some nice Speer Gold Dots in .355" 125 grain. They were marked .357 Sig. But with the pertinent info being, .355" diameter and 125 grains weight. There was a few boxes there because people saw .357 Sig. .380 Auto is the same deal, Get a manual and look at the drawing of the Cartridge you are reloading. Please now I beg of you..Now that components are getting better!

Never use any info out of hearsay! Always, and firstly, consult your current reloading manual. Always use the exact components listed in said manual. Always develop your loads. Your results will absolutely be different than mine. Just please use your brain.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:56 PM   #11
CWPinSC

Looks like Berry's is the place. I must have plated or jacketed bullets because the range I go to doesn't allow bare lead. I was told that .45 LC bullets are longer in the "straight side" portion and that .45 ACP are too short to seat deeply enough in a .45 LC case without the end of the case coming up over the beginning of the "curve" of the bullet. The .380 are just plain ol' hard to find.

Since it was brought up, which is better, the flat bottom or the concave bottom .380 ACP?

AVID, if I wasn't using my brain, I'd just be buying anything and everything without asking questions. Thank you for your advice.
Old May 22, 2010, 01:02 PM   #12
ScottRiqui

Quote:
I must have plated or jacketed bullets because the range I go to doesn't allow bare lead.
That's interesting that they would allow jacketed bullets if they're concerned about lead exposure. Unless they're TMJ-type rounds, it's the exposed lead at the base that's going to get vaporized and airborne when the round's fired.
Old May 22, 2010, 02:58 PM   #13
CWPinSC

Quote:
That's interesting that they would allow jacketed bullets if they're concerned about lead exposure. Unless they're TMJ-type rounds, it's the exposed lead at the base that's going to get vaporized and airborne when the round's fired.
The range ammo they sell is Atlanta Arms stuff, listed from their website as TCJ. The range gives no reason for the lead bullet ban in their range rules. Ammo brought in from outside must be "approved".
Old May 22, 2010, 03:03 PM   #14
ScottRiqui

If they sell TCJ and mandate the use of TCJ, plated, or jacketed ammo, it sounds like they're trying to minimize lead exposure (poor ventilation, perhaps?), but if that's the case, jacketed ammo that leaves the base exposed isn't helping them in their goal.
Old May 23, 2010, 01:13 AM   #15
Valornor

Its my understanding that it isn't so much as the lead levels as it is all the smoke the lubricant in the cast bullets seems to produce. The indoor range I shot at is the same way. Must be FMJ, or plated. I made the mistake of bringing in a box of cast with my boxes of plate .40S&W.

There was a definite difference in how much smoke blow out the pipe when shooting cast, as compared to plated bullets. (Bullseye was used in both loads) I don't notice it as much outdoors, but inside its big difference.