The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 17, 2009, 08:34 PM   #1
beerengineer

Remy 700 sps varmint upgrades!

Got a remy 700 SPS Varmint with a Leupold VX-L in a .22-250 and I love it. However, now that i have it the fun really begins right? I'm really not very happy with the stock. Feels hollow, plastic and cheap. Thinking about getting a Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist A2 stock. I can get it on line for a little over $200. I have heard that a good after market stock can tighten your groups. Is this true and can someone explain how this works? This rig will be used mainly off the bench and some tactical prone fun. steel and paper and if i can manage to hook up with the right people....maybe some hogs and other 'varmints'.
Old November 17, 2009, 09:18 PM   #2
golf97

If your stock does not allow your barrel to be free floated, a free floating stock can help. The way the action is bedded is also important. A more natural firing position is something that can help groups as well.
Old November 17, 2009, 09:54 PM   #3
rickdavis81

A stiffer forearm helps to prevent the stock from tweaking and putting pressure on the barrel. The aluminum bedding block helps to hold the action more rigid so there is no shot to shot variance. Some say you should still skim bed the action though. But they also look better and give your gun a custom look.
Old November 17, 2009, 10:59 PM   #4
Fat White Boy

How does it shoot, now? If it is shooting tight groups, why mess with it...
Old November 18, 2009, 03:58 AM   #5
Rob96

I have the same rifle and got .69 moa with the factory stock. This was using Remington 150gr Core Lokt.
Old November 18, 2009, 05:49 AM   #6
riggins_83

My Rem 700 SPS was a very tight shooter though I never changed the stock. I did put the Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist A2 stock on a savage and love it. My one objection was the barrel channel wasn't quite as deep as I wanted, easy to sand on though.