The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 12, 2008, 02:45 PM   #26
Redneckrepairs

Police officers are as a rule not great shots , and for a lot of reasons . We gunnies see a lot of police work as being about the gun and that is simply not the case . You could as easily say that not all ( pick your service here ) army officers are not marksmen in spite of the fact they wear ( or may be issued ) a pistol . The pistol today ( as a symbol of the .gov ) is a " badge of office " never expected to be used . Cops go thro an extensive training program , little of which deals with such physical arts such as shooting a gun , or effecting an arrest on a non compliant suspect . The academy is pretty law and report centric . Unlike some on the left think , you dont learn how to shoot/arrest innocent folk , nor do you learn how to cover for them that do . In fact you spend more time on the bill of rights than you do on self defense . Folks quit kicking cops , as no matter your aim becoming one today you will learn about the courts , and report writing , not so much about guns or even unarmed scuffles such as they are . Cops here in the usa deal with paperwork more than pistols , and i personally thank my deity every day for this fact .
Old December 12, 2008, 02:50 PM   #27
armsmaster270

ERIK

I answered in post 4
Old December 12, 2008, 03:03 PM   #28
Pbearperry

cops and guns

I think that the population as a whole really does not understand the relationship of the avarage cop and his gun.To him it's just one of many tools he may have to use while performing his duties.Yes it would be nice if each cop could shoot like Wild Bill Hickock,and yes it would be nice that he also had an IQ of 140 and it would be nice if he could run 26 miles and bench press 350 lbs.What I have just discribed was a super cop in a Hollywood movie,not what's out there on the streets.However thats not reality.
I am sure that people possessing all these qualities would laugh at a typical starting pay of 25 grand a year.That is why we have the people that we have on the cops job,they are just normal every day people willing to put the uniform on and and give it a go.Most cops will do 20-30 years or more on the job and never discharge their service guns even once.I think it is time we understand this and accept reality and stop watching TV and movies.
Old December 12, 2008, 05:28 PM   #29
mega twin

Here in this area,a lot of the city police are younger people,with families, and a pretty low pay rate compared to some bigger cities. Most of them cannot afford to shoot alot on theier own dime.
Old December 12, 2008, 07:26 PM   #30
David Armstrong

Quote:
On a related note, many military personnel home from the war would likely be surprised to find many firearms enthusiasts underwhelmed by their firearms related KSAs as well.
Exactly. I was at the range a while back and was watching a few guys give another one a hard time about how he was handling an AR---not real safe, never hit anything that way, let me show how to hold that, etc. After a while the guy had apparently had enough, and shut them up: "I've killed 12 men during houseclearing in Iraq doing it this way. How many gunfights have you won?" I hung around long enough to take the guy out for a beer and a burger after he was done shooting.
Old December 12, 2008, 07:55 PM   #31
ActivShootr

Quote:
Here in this area,a lot of the city police are younger people,with families, and a pretty low pay rate compared to some bigger cities. Most of them cannot afford to shoot alot on theier own dime.
Same in this area. One of my dearest friends is le in a small town. He doesn't carry the issued 10mm so he is left to purchase his own practice and carry ammo.
Old December 12, 2008, 08:06 PM   #32
alloy

i go to the range early when its empty, but at the range recently one morn was a correctional officer and his glock. much less than amazing with some lackluster safety skills to boot.
another morn early...a girl obviously being tutored in the timed drills for her police exam. not bad once the gun was out of the holster. she seemed determined.
but the guy with the shot timer doing that tutoring....uuuhhh, pretty dang good.
Old December 13, 2008, 01:12 AM   #33
JohnH1963

I would like to add some common sense to this thread.

There are many assorted factors and variables that we do not know. Did the officer work the night before and is now only operating on a little bit of sleep? Did the officer have a lot of coffee and sugar before the range and his hand is shaking a little bit? Did the officer have a fight with his wife and is simply not thinking right? Did the officer work out with weights and his arm is sore and he is having a problem steadying his arm? etc etc. There are many physical factors that can effect a person's aim.
Old December 13, 2008, 01:39 AM   #34
T. O'Heir

"...To most LEO's the sidearm is just another piece of gear to carry around..." Exactly. That's why most of 'em like Glocks.
The days of cop recruits being shooters are long gone. Having a degree is far more important these days. Knew a guy(a buddy's older brother) who got assigned to the 'bank car', long, long ago. (30 plus years ago.) The 'bank car' was the only one with a pump shotgun. Neither the guy I knew nor his partner knew how to load it.
Most of 'em have never seen a real firearm of any kind prior to their training, such as it is. Most of 'em don't shoot recreationally or ever shoot their service piece except for their annual, as a minimum, qualification either.
Used to shoot in an ISU league. Bullseye. Some cops team guys would show up with their service revolver(I did say, long ago). No adjustable sights and they weren't allowed to have a trigger job done. We wiped the floor with them regularly. Good bunch of guys, for the most part, though.
"...compared to some bigger cities..." Up here, in London, Ontario, a copper with some TI is making 69 grand per annum. The PD budget is $83 million Cdn. Most of which goes to pay checks. Not all of that is cop pay checks though. The clerks and typists are over paid too.
Police Cadets, in Toronto, are paid 50 grand to start. No experience. No training. The TO cop budget is half a billion.
Old December 13, 2008, 08:10 AM   #35
U.S.SFC_RET

I have nothing but respect for the boys in blue for the most part. It is a calling. To protect and to serve means that they are serving their community. I thank them every chance I get. It is a stressful job and frequently they get no thanks for it.

I have met wonderful LEOs who gave me pointers that literally blew my mind when it came to pistol training and shooting. I will never forget it.

We know of the ones who come in just for an 8 hour a day shift.

God bless em.
4. Know the target and what's beyond it.
Old December 13, 2008, 01:18 PM   #36
Kreyzhorse

I don't believe that LEO are marksmen as it were. They do have to pass a shooting test but again, its not to prove they are marksmen, but they are competent with their sidearm.

As a sidenote, I was at the range when a LEO recruit and in instructor showed up and took the lane next to mine. I stop to reload and then hear the instructor tell her "Nice job, each one hit the fair wall that time. Don't even worry about hitting the target, just focus on the wall at the end of the range each time."

For her next mag, I watched and sure enough, she was just shooting at the far wall. At that point, I figured if she was struggling to hit the wall, that it was in my best interest to leave the range before I had a hole where I didn't want one.
Old December 13, 2008, 01:38 PM   #37
JohnKSa
Staff

One of the reasons that the .45 Auto got such a good reputation in LE is because it was not a typical issue weapon. Even where they were allowed they usually had to be purchased by the officer. That meant that only the "gunny" cops carried them. You know, the officers who were actually likely to practice on their own time and their own $$ to become proficient.

It should come as no surprise, then, that cops carrying .45 Autos seemed to have much better "luck" in shootouts--and a smaller surprise that cops who didn't want to practice and police chiefs who didn't want to pay for practice hours & practice ammunition were more than ready to point to caliber as the reason for that success.
Old December 13, 2008, 02:18 PM   #38
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That meant that only the "gunny" cops carried them. You know, the officers who were actually likely to practice on their own time and their own $$ to become proficient.
That's an interesting point. I would have never thought of that.
Old December 13, 2008, 05:16 PM   #39
armedandsafe

It is interesting that LawDog had a thought (somewhat) about this general subject today.

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2...ing-power.html

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old December 13, 2008, 08:58 PM   #40
AUG

I would take five random cops against five random members of a gun related message board any day on the range.
Old December 13, 2008, 09:45 PM   #41
ActivShootr

Can I pick the five?
Old December 13, 2008, 09:59 PM   #42
nemoaz

Quote:
Police officers are as a rule not great shots .
My agency, as a rule, wins every competition we go to. So, I'm guessing your rule isn't really a rule.

I would say as a rule, most guys on the internet spend more time on the internet imagining themselves to be tactical operator ninjas than actually doing anything.
Old December 13, 2008, 10:24 PM   #43
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So, I'm guessing your rule isn't really a rule.
Rules are, as a rule, not all inclusive.

Quote:
My agency, as a rule, wins every competition we go to.
None of your opponents fall into the "not great shots" rule?

Quote:
most guys on the internet spend more time on the internet imagining themselves to be tactical operator ninjas than actually doing anything.
Welcome to the party. That's what we're here for.
Old December 13, 2008, 10:30 PM   #44
tshadow6

Cops and shooting

Not all LEOs like to shoot. At my agency, if 10 officers show up for a range practice day, that's a lot. Same old exuses, don't want to get dirty, no time, the range is too far, etc... Personally, I take a vacation day to use the range when I can. Others only shoot once a year in order to qualify.
Old December 13, 2008, 10:48 PM   #45
Swampghost

I liked JohnH1963's opening line.

It brings to question; How many LEO's have done previous duty where they were being shot at? IMHO a war vet should react entirely different from an academy grad.

My experience on this predates my military duty, I'll elaborate if required.
Old December 13, 2008, 10:57 PM   #46
Sarge

Some of us are actually quite serious about our skill at arms.

Some of us serious folks are also trainers, with the ability to both impart and require a pretty decent skill level to those in our charge.
Old December 13, 2008, 11:07 PM   #47
James K
Member In Memoriam

I concede that Armsmaster may be correct about his department, but out in the rest of the world, there are a lot of cops who can't hit the proverbial barn door. An indoor range I know of allowed police to shoot there as a department program. They shot up the floors, the A/C ducts, the walls, in fact darned near everything but the targets. One even fired a shot that missed his own foot by an inch. And these were not green recruits, but officers who had been on the force for years. They simply could not shoot!

Sure, departments have pistol teams and they are often very good. But darned few use the service pistol and a few good shots out of a large department don't mean much. (Plus they are usually long service types who are no longer "on the streeet".)

I do not expect a cop to be a world class target shooter, but the gun is a tool of the trade and I do expect him or her to be competent in its use. It is as if I were to hire a carpenter and see him miss nails and smash his thumb with a hammer; I would hire someone else since a workman who cannot learn to use the tools of his trade is not only not worth hiring but is a danger to himself and others. That goes even more so for an armed police officer.

Jim
Old December 14, 2008, 01:26 AM   #48
David Armstrong

I would like to point out that in the midst of all this "cops can't shoot" discussion, one factor is being left out...they also don't lose many gunfights.
Old December 14, 2008, 02:48 AM   #49
HKFan9

Last time I was at the range and some of the local LEO's showed up the guy standing next to me went to high school with me, and was arrested for drugs a bunch of times, and always getting in trouble. He couldn't shoot to save his own life it seemed, but people want me to depend my life on him and his buddies?
Old December 14, 2008, 03:49 AM   #50
JohnH1963

There are so many different factors in being a good shot. A young academy grad might be better then the experienced miltary vet.

One reason, which most do not want to admit, is simply age. Grab a book off the shelf and hold it in front of you for 60 seconds. Hold your arms up completely straight for 60 seconds. Do you notice any shaking at all?

Next, look into the distance and try to read some small letters off of something. Is your vision all that great?

A younger police officer in his 20s might just be a better shot then the experienced mature officer. As we get older, we get slower, our vision fades and we simply cant hold objects as steady as we once could. Our reaction time fades.

Officers deal with this problem through powerful unions. In other non-unionized professions, such problems would be taken care of through write-ups for perceived performance issues and then followed by a carefully orchestrated firing. Police have it lucky. They can get older with grace and style and have a union to watch over them protecting them from hawkish administrators wanting to pull the trigger over such a natural event like aging. I digress...