The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 12, 2005, 02:22 PM   #1
Mannlicher

I did not know what to say..........

I was off to the range this morning. The guy at the bench next to me, was talkative. He was preparing for an Antelope hunt, in Wyoming, next week.
He was shooting a borrowed rifle. He was not sure of what ''bullets" it shot, but wanted to know if they were ok for Antelope.
Turned out to be an old Ruger M77, camo stocked, in 30-06. He was shooting 180 grain Remington factory ammo. His groups at 100 yards were Minute of pie plate. He said he was not going to adjust the scope, since it was a loaner, but just 'hold off to the left'.
He thinks he can get to within 400 yards of an Antelope, and then the rifle will have to take it from there.
I almost hope he does not even see an animal to throw lead at.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old October 12, 2005, 02:38 PM   #2
DimitriS

I wouldnt want him to see one ether.

Quote:
His groups at 100 yards were Minute of pie plate.
If his accuracy/shooting ability was that bad I think he needs to go to the range alot more or get his gun test shot by someone who can shoot to see if pratice can fix his problem or if he needs a new gun.

I wouldnt trust a gun that shot like that for hunting passed 50 yards.

Dimitri
Old October 12, 2005, 02:45 PM   #3
yorec

See a lot like him every year. Usually sporting those fruitsalad plates from all over too...

He'll see antelope. He'll shoot at antelope. He'll hit antelope, eventually. He'll kill antelope.

(Note, those are all plural forms of the word. )
Old October 12, 2005, 03:32 PM   #4
siotwo

Thats funny.....I bet he doesn't even know what one will look like at 400yds. Besides that, everyone knows that all shots are '250yds' when you are out on the high plains.

I would have let out a big loud chuckle and then asked a few questions...but I'm a glutton for punishment.
Old October 12, 2005, 03:42 PM   #5
zeisloft

Strange, I believe I met the same fellow at the range up here last week. I guess there is a bit of that going around.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old October 12, 2005, 04:07 PM   #6
Wildalaska

In order to help out at our state range I became a range officer. Thjats deadly if you want to shoot yourself

I am not a gunsmith (but I can diagnose pretty good, just get lost with power tools)....but since I am a range officer over the past 6 months a week has not gone by whenm I havent had to remount a scope right there on the line (hey i did it myself, duh), or sight in someones gun (its not hitting paper...of course, your turning the dila the wrong way), or remind them that when shooting from a rest you rest the forend on the bag, not the barrel, that when shooting an AK its nice to at least hit the berm, that you cant fire 308 in 30-06 and so on and so on...

So if I seem cynical with respect to the abilities of Mr Everyday to use firearms, keep in mind not only where I work, but what I see during my one day off

WildhappygoluckyAlaska