The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 22, 2012, 06:53 PM   #1
countryfied252

Ballistol for cleaning guns

I was watching a video on youtube and the guy was using ballastol to clean his gun. Is this something that other people use?
Old October 22, 2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Willie Sutton

Ballistol = Ballistic Oil. It was developed by the Germans for an all purpose military field lubricant and cleaner and is very good stuff.

Several threads on it are in the black powder and cowboy action shooting forum so go read there. It's very popular with black powder shooters, and many of us have learned to love it for other uses as well. I mean, anything that was originally made to be a leather dressing, weapons cleaner, and skin antiseptic can't be all bad! Clean your rifle, polish your boots, and then deal with your cut finger.. what's not to love?

Go Google the stuff, it's a pretty historical product. And... it works.

And like WD-40 or Hoppes #9, it has a distinctive smell that wears on you in a good way. I associate it with good times spent cleaning up afer a day of shooting.

Willie

Old October 22, 2012, 07:00 PM   #3
jmortimer

Ballistol is the original CLP and is essentially non-toxic. I like it and use it.
Old October 22, 2012, 07:01 PM   #4
countryfied252

thanks for the help
Old October 22, 2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Willie Sutton

Pleasure.

Don't forget it works for indigestion as well ...

(it's just mineral oil with a few other goodies added, it's a little alkiline so it works for acid relief. Don't ask me how I know this)

Neo-Ballistol is a kissin' cousin with just a few adjustments to the formula, and is sold in Germany as a sort of skin balm, antiseptic, and internal remedy for what generally ails ya...

I hate to say it, but the odd dose of gun-grade Ballistol right from the can has been a hunters fix-it for decades. Oh, and you can shave with it... (mix 50/50 with water). In a 10% solution with water it kills aphids on roses like a charm too (trust me here).

Good stuff. Get some.

Willie

Old October 23, 2012, 03:27 AM   #6
10-96

Aside from all the other uses, I found it works very well in getting sticky things off. I use it on those cloth type bandaids- keeps the kids from hurting more from band-aid removal than they were when they got poked, punctured, cut, or abrased in the first place.

Also works well to get stickers (from gunshows, stores, etc) off of stocks, grips, metal.

Seems to work better on automobiles than armorall.

+1 on the shaving and antiseptic properties too. It doesn't sting when it gets on cuts.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 23, 2012, 10:32 AM   #7
Rifleman1776

All said it is a good cleaning and lubricating product. Don't know about the medicinal applications though.
I have recently started using it and have found it is NOT to be relied on for rust protection during storage. Use other proven products for that.
Old October 23, 2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Jim Watson

I use Ballistol on my black powder rifles and it is a good lube and preservative. I don't like the smell, so I don't use it on smokeless guns.

Stoeger's used to sell a similar product they called Stogerol.
I think it was either Ballistol relabeled for sale in the US or a copy.
But it was not only a CLP, it was also Good For What Ails You, similar to what we see with Ballistol here.
Old October 23, 2012, 11:47 AM   #9
KevininPa

Rust

"All said it is a good cleaning and lubricating product. Don't know about the medicinal applications though.
I have recently started using it and have found it is NOT to be relied on for rust protection during storage. Use other proven products for that."

I think it works pretty good as a rust preventative. I've had less problems with it than anything else.
Old October 23, 2012, 01:34 PM   #10
texagun

Ballistol is a good gun cleaning product. Hickok45 uses it almost exclusively according to his videos on Youtube. I would NOT take it internally or apply it to open wounds as a medicinal product. To the best of my knowledge, it does not cure cancer, blindness, rheumatism, lumbago, shingles, the vapors, and it will not cure hemorrhoids. Here is a complete history and usage recommendations from the company that distributes it:

http://www.ballistol.com/1_Ballistol...r%20PROOF3.pdf
Old October 23, 2012, 02:09 PM   #11
Amsdorf

Love the stuff! It is my primary CLP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 23, 2012, 03:56 PM   #12
Patriot86

The stuff works great and it does not stink up the house like some other products.
Old October 23, 2012, 07:15 PM   #13
Willie Sutton

Anyone interested in this stuff ought to read this with a sense of humor:

http://www.ballistol.de/files/ballis...__englisch.pdf

One of those who swore by it for intestinal gas was apparently good old Adolph H, who apparently developed the habit in WW-I.

Dunno how it worked out for him...

Willie

Old October 24, 2012, 06:39 PM   #14
mitchntx

Quote:
I was watching a video on youtube and the guy was using ballastol to clean his gun. Is this something that other people use?
I'm a fan of Hickok45 and I saw him using Ballistol as an all purpose everything.

I bought into a patshworm cleaning system which came with swabs soaking in Ballistol.

Tried it once and was sold.

I'm also trying a product called Strike Hold ... supposedly used to preserve the holy grail or something like that.
Old October 27, 2012, 01:04 PM   #15
Mesquito Whitey

I've tried it in the past and it has worked well. Having said that, I quit using it because I can't stand the smell of it. Weird I know, but there it is.
Old October 28, 2012, 08:16 AM   #16
Hal

Quote:
I've tried it in the past and it has worked well. Having said that, I quit using it because I can't stand the smell of it. Weird I know, but there it is.
Not really..weird I mean...
I made the comment once that Ballistol didn't have an unpleasant odor.
I'd used it for years and never thought it did.
Another poster said, "Are you kidding, no unpleasant odor? It smells like old sweat socks"!

Before I responded, I opened a can and took a wiff...

Ever since then,,,,I've noticed it does have a distinct - and now to me - unpleasant odor.

I still use it though, mainly because it works well and it won't harm nickle.