The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 1, 2015, 04:17 PM   #1
skobrien

What load to start with

When working with a new powder/bullet combination and looking to find the most accurate load, is it always best to start at the minimum load and work up? If so, what increment should I use for each step up?

Thanks
Old October 1, 2015, 04:38 PM   #2
jwrowland77

Yes.

Depends on if I'm loading for rifle or pistol.

I mainly load rifle and go from min to max in .3gr increments.
Old October 1, 2015, 04:49 PM   #3
rem1858

For pistol it depends on the size of the case.
Small case maybe .1 grain increments.
Large case maybe .1-.2 grain increments.

For rifle it has generally been .2-.3 grains for me.

Then of coarse comes seating depth and crimp for some more fine tuning.

YMMV

Clarence
Distinguished Revolver Badge #99
Old October 1, 2015, 04:51 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Load work up (for pressure) and identification of the best load are two different operations. Always start with the minimum load listed. Indeed, it is best to look up at least three sources of load data as they are biased by the guns used to develop the load data.

For the load work up, Select the lowest starting load in the bunch and the highest maximum load in the bunch. Using, if possible, the same case and primer and COL as the maximum load, load one round for the bottom load, one that is higher by 2% of the maximum charge, and keep adding another 2% until you get to the top load. Take them out. Shoot the lowest load, then the next higher one, then the next, all the while watching for pressure signs. When you see or think you see pressure signs, stop. You may have to pull the additional loads, so be prepared for that. If you have a chronograph, look to see if your velocity, after adjusting for your barrel length (see table below) is out of line with what was reported in the load data for that powder and bullet combination. If your velocity is higher at all the load steps by an average of more than 50 fps or so, you likely are getting higher pressures than the test gun you are comparing to and probably need to expect a lower maximum is going to be best in your gun.

Assuming you get through the whole series of pressure work up rounds (there are only 6 if you are increasing a load 10%) and they all look OK, and you didn't have pressure signs, then it is time to start working loads up for accuracy. This takes finer adjustments and usually means firing groups. Take a look at Dan Newberry's OCW system of load development. I can usually find a good load with 21 to 27 rounds with this system, but YMMV.

NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 1, 2015, 04:58 PM   #5
jwrowland77

Unclenick,

How come you can't do both at the same time? I generally do.
Old October 2, 2015, 07:40 AM   #6
skobrien

Thanks

I'm loading .270 and .308 and appreciate the great advice.

Thanks