The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 9, 2013, 12:04 PM   #1
mfreem08

Ammo storage

I was wondering if any of you keep your store bought ammo in something like a. 30 GI can? Or do you just leave it in the manufacturers box? If left in the box, any advantage other than tracking amount of ammo on hand? I have begun to collect hundreds of 1 specific handgun caliber & this "consolidation" (different brands too) would save space..
Old February 9, 2013, 12:19 PM   #2
RFtinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfreem08 View Post
I was wondering if any of you keep your store bought ammo in something like a. 30 GI can? Or do you just leave it in the manufacturers box? If left in the box, any advantage other than tracking amount of ammo on hand? I have begun to collect hundreds of 1 specific handgun caliber & this "consolidation" (different brands too) would save space..
Add dessicant and oxygen ummm...forgot to ammo cans. Also, a food saver works quite well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old February 9, 2013, 12:53 PM   #3
DMK

I try to keep all my ammo in 50 cal ammo cans with a dessicant packet or two dropped in. Store the ammo cans in a cool, dry place.

Two biggest enemies of your ammunition: heat and moisture.

I don't track my ammo in any way. I just mark the outside of the can with a marker.
Old February 9, 2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

Mostly in surplus metal ammo cans, but in factory boxes, or the fold out plain white boxes from Midway If surplus ammo bought in bulk. Some surplus in the original spam cans in the wooden crate.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 9, 2013, 05:23 PM   #5
9mm

I have about 30 metal 50 cal cans now, been buying them from LGS'S and Gun ranges. $10-$15 dollar each, out of 1-10 scale of how well they are, I say 8-9 shape(only 3 are about a 4 shape because they were very rusty/repainted, still works) Very happy with them, stack about 7 high. Keeps your ammo safe, from getting crushed. Store ammo/magazines/cleaning supplies/etc in them.
Old February 9, 2013, 05:31 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

I highly recommend that you keep it in the factory boxes. That way, if there is a recall, or if you determine that some of it is faulty, or unsuitable for use (for whatever reason) in one of your firearms, you can easily segregate the affected rounds from the rest of your supply.

Also, if something happens to you, this will allow the unfortunate person left to deal with your belongings to positively identify the ammunition.

You can store the ammunition in the factory boxes in another container to help keep it compact, to protect it and to make it easier to move around.

The only way I would advise consolidating ammunition into different containers outside of the factory boxes would be if you keep it separated by brand/load and factory lot. Retain at least one of the factory boxes to provide the information that would help positively identify the ammunition in that container. You can remove the ammo carrier inside the factory box and flatten the box to save space .
Old February 9, 2013, 07:27 PM   #7
FireForged

Ammo can with a Desicant pak..oem box, then forget About it
Old February 10, 2013, 06:49 PM   #8
Noreaster

I have used metal ammo cans but my oldest one, which is only about five years old, had some under powered and one squib load come out of it. I believe it was a moisture problem. I have older ammo I stored in the factory boxes that hasn't had any issues.
Old February 10, 2013, 06:55 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Ammo cans make great storage containers. Leave the ammo in the original boxes and store the whole deal in an ammo can. Store the can in a cool, dry space and you have no worries.
Old February 10, 2013, 06:58 PM   #10
The Great Mahoo

I keep all mine in the factory boxes, stacked on shelves in the closet. I have some ammo cans, which I use reloads or mil-surp ammo.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:25 AM   #11
mfreem08

Excellent point JohnKSa, that's why I asked. Something that I had not considered
"I highly recommend that you keep it in the factory boxes. That way, if there is a recall, or if you determine that some of it is faulty, or unsuitable for use (for whatever reason) in one of your firearms, you can easily segregate the affected rounds from the rest of your supply."
Old February 20, 2013, 12:40 PM   #12
tjpratt

ammo safety

My concern , if there is a fire, will ammo can stop exploding bullets? If not what does??

Thank You
Old February 20, 2013, 05:34 PM   #13
DaleA

Ammo in a fire comes up fairly regularly. Here's three threads on it. Upshot is ammunition isn't too dangerous in a fire.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...t=firefighters

Old February 20, 2013, 05:51 PM   #14
Loronzo

I too keep mine in the original boxes then place the boxes in ammo cans. Any loose rifle rounds I pack in 15 piece bundles then saran wrap them and place in the cans. (Makes it a lot easier to keep inventory and 2 bundles=1 mag)
Old February 20, 2013, 07:47 PM   #15
Eric M.

The only factory ammo that I have are my .22s, and I keep them in the box they come in.
The rest of my ammo is reloads which I keep in plastic reloading boxes.
All are in my reloading room where I keep temps and humidity the same year round.
This should keep the ammo functional for many years.

Eric
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor 37 yrs
Old February 20, 2013, 08:13 PM   #16
Mezzanine

I keep mine in the "free dry storage box with purchase" i get a lot from cabelas. I put a few dessicants in there, then i usually get 200 centerfire rifle rounds in one, in the original factory boxes... Then depending on packaging you can get at least 500 handgun rounds, a lot more with smaller boxes. For what its worth i dont keep my 12 ga shells in anything besides my firearms accessories cabinet, just because of the sheer volume of shells i have the ammo boxes would get expensive.