The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 7, 2009, 08:39 PM   #1
George PT-111

Need advice or tip

Ok I've been practicing a lot lately on drawing my handgun, one of my flaws is the mag. release, I notice, out of 15-20 times once my mag will fallout of the gun, I think it's because I push it while drawing. So does anyone do anything to prevent that from happenng exept for practicing???
Old January 7, 2009, 11:20 PM   #2
MothersLilHelper

Well, advice is free...

and worth what it costs.

I don't have that particular problem, but what I've found really helps me with any physical task I want to get perfect is s-u-p-e-r s-l-o-w practice and superslow on video. Once I've seen the video of perfect superslow, I can run it in my mind and keep practicing perfectly and eventually get faster.

If I know what perfect form looks like, I also run it superslow on weak side to teach the strong side how to do it. Only 5-10% as many reps, though.

Works great for my various athletic endeavors, for musical instruments and firearms too.
Old January 7, 2009, 11:27 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

And are you making positive sure the mag is locked up tight in the pistol? I generally punt mine in with the heel of my hand after it is in. If I do not do this it may feel like it is latched but a thumb nail on the bottom of the mag will get it to come loose.
Brent
Old January 7, 2009, 11:28 PM   #4
Cellfone

You may get more replies if you indicate which pistol you are practicing with and also the type of concealment (clipdraw, strongside, IWB holster etc....). I'm no expert but it boils down to practice and muscle memory. Good luck.
Old January 8, 2009, 07:36 AM   #5
George PT-111

Taurus pt-111, with elite clip holster placed inside in the front of the body, yeah the mag release is place to closed to my thumb. It's no biggie I'll just keep practicing thats all.
Old January 8, 2009, 07:55 AM   #6
AirForceShooter

Slow is smooth
Smooth is fast.

Slow down.
Do the draw in slow motion. Do it a thousand times.
Then go a little faster

AFS
Old January 8, 2009, 11:37 AM   #7
mnhntr

i guess i never had those problems with my USPc due to release location. i dont care for the location on most of the new autos.
wheel guns are so cool no mag release. no slide release. no safety.
Old January 8, 2009, 11:47 AM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Wheel guns have a "wheel release"...
Would you be able to handle a little thicker grip? That would likely negate the proximity of thumb to slide release... Just one more option...
Brent
Old January 8, 2009, 10:12 PM   #9
Dwight55

George, . . . you may want to take a look at your holster.

I used to own a paddle that was made by a reputable, commercial maker, . . . but someone on the design team was asleep. There was a perfect little cut in the holster below the paddle rack, . . . if I pushed the weapon even the slightest toward my body, . . . POP, . . . magazine on the floor.

The only time it made any real difference was the night I went after a couple of coons in my hen house, . . . they got away, . . . mag dropped out

The percentages say you probably don't have that problem, . . . but it is worth checking out anyway.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 8, 2009, 11:14 PM   #10
Rifleman 173

I would think about changing holsters and/or guns. If your hand is hitting the magazine release then change your gun. If the holster is causing the magazine release to activate, change the holster. Also look at your magazine release. Is it larger than normal? If so, change it back to one that is normal in size. You can also get the gunsmith fix it so the release is not so easy to activate. He'll probably put in a slightly stiffer spring. You don't want it too hard to activate so be careful if you do change the release spring.
Old January 9, 2009, 07:33 AM   #11
George PT-111

thanx!