The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 29, 1999, 02:10 PM   #1
Pete

I've been investigating various manufacturers of tactical slings for an AR15 Carbine. I don't like conventional slings, and I don't like putting my weapon on the muddy ground. There are a variety of manufacturers and prices, however. All things being equal, I'd like to spend as little as possible, but I don't want to buy junk.

Blackhawk Industries makes a "SnapShoot Assault Sling" for 24.95

Olympic Firearms sells a "Tac Sling" for 39.00

Bushmaster sells a "JFS Patrol Carry Sling" for 19.95

and there is also the "Giles Sling" for 49.95

The JFS sling seems all right, but why is it so much less expensive? I've heard good things about the Giles sling, but it is the most expensive of the bunch. Any comments?

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited June 29, 1999).]
Old June 29, 1999, 06:46 PM   #2
Jeff White

Pete,
I have both the Giles Sling (on a 16" Bushmaster preban carbine) and the Olympic Tac Sling (on a 20" Colt HBAR). They are both very similar. The Olympic Sling is made by a former Army Ranger and is marketed under the name of "The Tactical Taylor". It is just like the Giles sling except that it is made out of wide webbing and it has a fastex buckle so that you can take the weapon on and off your body without slipping the sling over your head.

One thing to watch for with either of these slings is that if you adjust them so the weapon is carried muzzle down, you have to watch that the flash hider doesn't dig into the ground when you take a knee with the weapon slung.

I've never used the JFS patrol sling, but from the pictures I've seen it looks like it just allows you to carry the weapon slung at waist level. You can rig the standard GI sling to do the same thing with some 550 cord. This is probably the cheapest method.

Jeff
Old June 30, 1999, 09:31 AM   #3
Pete

Well, I see the weapon hanging at my side to be a disadvantage. I am short and I think the muzzle brake would practically drag on the ground like this.

I may just forget the trouble of making my own, since i don't have any 550 cord, and just buy the Bushmaster sling. I wanted the weapon to hang about waist level anyway. Thanks for your help