The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2005, 07:56 PM   #26
Edward429451

I also had the local sheet metal shop pound me out a 24" X 24" X 4" pan (welded seams (5 bucks)) that I sit my tumbler or 5 gal bucket in and do the shake the media out thing over to catch the media that spills.

In an effort to not overload my tumbler, I sit my tumbler in my pan, fill it, add media & polish, let it run for 10 mins to dissapate the polish and get rid of the clumps, then dump in my brass while its running and let the media overflow into the pan until it overflows no more. Then put the lid on and run it. I think this allows extra room in the tumbler which gives full circulation to the brass and may extend the life of the tumbler. I think filling it up level inhibits circulation and overloads the motor, shortening service life.

?? Or so it seems to me.

Last edited by Edward429451; January 20, 2005 at 01:44 PM.
Old February 7, 2005, 11:04 PM   #27
Bass Man

I tried the ice cream maker.

I tried to use the ice cream maker tonight. It wouldn't stay on the center point in the bottom of the plastic tub when I had it on it's side it would slide up to the motor and fall off the center. Then I remebered about taping the lid on and that solved that but it still wouldn't stay on so I put some plastic sacks under it to support it since they are slick and they would work themselves out. I might try to build a block with wheels to slide in then I will abandon the effort if that doesn't work. It did do a descent job for the little over and hour I kept it running.