The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 16, 2004, 02:06 PM   #1
bck

Dumb question: difference in SG short/long barrel?

Ok, probably a really dumb question here but I'm totally new to shotguns so please forgive me. (BTW, I did do a search on this before posting but didn't really find anything answering my question).

What are the advantages/disadvantages of having a short vs. long shotgun barrel? You always hear about mob guys w/ sawed-off shotguns - why?

My intuition tells me that with less barrel length you would have less time for acceleration of the projectiles which would result in lower energy projectiles relative to a gun with a longer barrel. However I'm thinking you would get more scatter due to a decrease in solid angle with the short barrel.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Old December 16, 2004, 02:27 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The biggest differences in short-long barrels is, a short barrel is easier to swing quickly in confined spaces, and a long barrel "points" better for shooting at flying targets.

Years ago the NRA's American Rifleman Technical unit did a test to determine just what effect barrel length had on actual performance.

They put an adjustable choke on a Marlin 36" Goose gun and fired it for pattern and velocity.

After testing, the barrel was cut off one inch, and the gun was fired for pattern and velocity again.

This continued until the barrel was cut down to 12".

The NRA's results said that anything that was going to happen in a shotgun barrel was going to happen within 18".

Anything over about 30" and you actually started to LOSE velocity due to friction.

Nothing got wildly out of hand until the barrel was approaching 12".

The bottom line is, longer barrels are favored by sportsman for their pointing and swing abilities.

Short barrels are favored because they can be gotten quicker on target at short ranges, and are easier to use in close quarters.

Ballisticly there's no real difference between a short or long barrel.
A short barrel will shoot "about" the same velocities and will shoot as good of patterns as a long barrel.
Old December 16, 2004, 05:33 PM   #3
NSO_w/_SIG

Lol

Why do mob guys have sawed off shotguns? So they can fit in their coats and be concealed that is it!
Old December 17, 2004, 08:20 AM   #4
bck

Thanks guys!!

Very good info.
Old December 18, 2004, 11:49 PM   #5
rugerdude

Let the mobsters have their sawed offs, I wouldn't want to be the one firing it. On second thought better to shoot it than be shot BY it. That is some interesting info, I would think the decreased barrel length would have a dramatic effect on the shot pattern.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old December 19, 2004, 01:17 AM   #6
Danindetroit

RG looking at some turkey SG's, I noticed that a lot of them had 24" barrels, I thought it was strange, Easier to carry to your "spot", and use in brush, without velocity, or pattern problems. I always found that a long, heavy barrel in any gun when put on target, did not move around much, where a light short gun seemed to twitch very easily, rifle or shotgun. Those guys shooting long range matches with .45/70's and long octagon barrels can really get you attention with the accuracy they generate. Over 100 years of knowledge is not something to be dismissed. Those guys who shoot black powder, and use the "blow tubes" to soften the powder residue, and lesen the number of cleaning patches is pretty neat too. I would love to have one of those old guns, or an uberti? replica, those damn cabela's catalogs.