The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 5, 1999, 02:04 AM   #1
OK Computer

I've been contemplating a mid-power, rugged, and illuminated reticle optic for my AR15. And I've come to these 2 choices. I'm kind of leaning towards the Marksman Elite, mostly because its about half the price of an ACOG, but I'd like to hear others peoples' opinion on which I should get. Thanks
Old July 5, 1999, 01:08 PM   #2
Jeff White

I don't have any experience with the Marksmans elite, but I have had a 4x32 ACOG for 10 years. Mine is the older model with th reticle calibrated for M855 ball out of a 20" barrel. After 10 years the illumination is still bright.

The scope is made out of the same aluminum that your AR receivers are made of and I'd judge it to be nearly indestructable.

The TAO1-NSN has a reticle calibrated for M855 ball out of a 14.5" M4 barrel. So the hold over markings won't be exactly on out of a 20" barrel.

The Marksmans elite uses batteries, a bad thing if they fail at an inopportune time and you haven't a spare. But an advantage when you look at the cost of replacing the tritium in the ACOG, Trijicon wants $132.00 to replace the tritium.

I think the tritium is cheaper in the long run, mine still illuminates well after 10 years, I can't begin to imagine how many batteries I would have bought in that time.

The Marksmans Elite would probably still work out to be cheaper, given the initial cost. But it doesn't look as durable to me.
Jeff
Old July 6, 1999, 07:43 PM   #3
OK Computer

Thanks for the response. But only one thing bothers me about the ACOG. There is next to nothing on detailed information for the various ACOG models. However, AR15.COM has an excellent review article on the Marksman.

Batteries where also a concern to me, but the illumination feature is something that will get very little use when I go shooting. But I still like having it available to me. The marksman has an extra battery compartment, so thats a plus.
Old July 12, 1999, 01:25 AM   #4
znztivguy

Hi,
I have a Aimpoint Comp ML and it works great with my rifle. However, have you considered the Bushnell Holopoint? It seems to be a very good sight and suprisingly durable. I really wouldn't worry about battery life in all these rifles because with one battery we are talking about 100-200 hours. Plus most of the time we are out shooting how many hours do you think you will be using the sight? The batteries for the aimpoint cost around $5.00 at the Radio Shack. Figure the cost to replace tritium sights at $126 that's 20 something batteries. Ads up to alot of hours. Not to mention that battery technology is getting better and there are new sights coming out. After some time we might have a paradigm shift all together concerning traditional sights.
Good luck on picking your scope (sight) and give us all a review once you've bought and used it.
Art