The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2015, 07:47 AM   #1
Gdawgs

Case Trimmer

I'm looking for recommendations for a case trimmer. I typically only load handgun rounds, so I don't do much trimming. I do have some of the Lee trimmers that you buy for each individual cartridge.

I'm looking at loading a couple wildcat cartridges. 6.5mm Bench Rest Magnum and 7mm Ultimate Silhouette.

They are both made from 30-30 cases. But the case lengths are all over the place for the brass that I have, so I need to trim them.

I'm not going to be doing high volume trimming so I don't need an electric unit, although the ones where you can use a drill might be kind of nice.

Any recommendations, or are they all basically the same?
Old March 5, 2015, 08:28 AM   #2
jmorris

I have a forester that is quite versitle I don't like to do hundreds with it but a good pick for a few here and there.
Old March 5, 2015, 10:34 AM   #3
AllenJ

I also have the Forester but got tired of doing 100 at a time so now use a Frankford Arsenal case prep center. I still use the Forester for neck turning. I don't think any of the big names make a bad one, RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, all have pretty good reviews.
Old March 5, 2015, 10:59 AM   #4
Metal god

I love my Lyman case trimmer http://www.midwayusa.com/product/720...ProductFinding

I use both cutters and they work great . All cases come out with in .001 so it's pretty accurate . I also like the fact it does not need any shell holders to work . It also has a second adjustment screw/nut that has guide marks in .001 increments . You get the cutter close with the main adjustment then use the other to get it perfect if needed .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 5, 2015, 11:45 AM   #5
jtmckinney

I have been using a RCBS Trimpro for many years. Works as advertised. Trimming brass is one of my least favorite parts of reloading but I also do not want to spend the money on one of the electric case prep machines.
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old March 5, 2015, 06:10 PM   #6
surveyor

For 2 calibers it is a toss up, either 2 case trimmers that can be chucked in a drill from cts engineering for 43 bux each, or a manual trim pro that can be used for a lot of other calibers for a hundred bux.
http://www.ctstrimmer.com/case-trimm...s-trimmer.html

Jim is good to deal with.
While I haven't used this type trimmer, I have the bench mounted electric trimmer and am very pleased with it.
Old March 5, 2015, 07:40 PM   #7
math teacher

Metal god, nearly 40 years ago I converted my Lyman Universal Trimmer to power like yours by grinding off the handle and turning the end of the shaft down to a quarter inch. It sure saved me a lot of work since. I see no reason why that would not work with many other brands.
Old March 6, 2015, 07:11 AM   #8
Gdawgs

Thanks for all the info. I'll be going past a reloading store this weekend, so I'll stop by and check them out. I like the looks of that Lyman
Old March 6, 2015, 08:53 PM   #9
kostner

If you can find one look at the Possum Hollow case trimmer $29.99https://www.possumhollowproducts.com/KWICK_CASE_TRIMMERS.html

Don't use Midwayusa because of the back order. I called the factory and got fast service. Have used on thousands of cases and it just keeps o ticking. Mounted it on a drill press and along with a Dillon Super Swage life is sweet.
Old March 8, 2015, 10:33 AM   #10
tobnpr

Haven't used any others, but I have the Hornady and no need to look elsewhere...
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old March 8, 2015, 10:48 AM   #11
Nathan

Honestly, I have used a couple types. Wilson is the best in my opinion. It somehow cuts the case mouths easier. I'm not sure if it is the case holders or cutter angle, or what.

I use it for everything 5.56, 300 WSM, you name it. No chatter at all!

I would buy a Sinclair stand and clamp kit.
Old March 8, 2015, 11:06 AM   #12
axismatt

Quote:
Haven't used any others, but I have the Hornady and no need to look elsewhere...
I own the Hornady as well. Works fine. But the ONE part that should be steel is made of some cheap pot metal aluminum garbage. Besides the cutting head, the crank arm is the only part that gets any real force exerted on it, and I have broken two and bent the third in fewer than 1500 cases.

The only other Hornady tool I own is a bullet pulling die, and it has the exact same issue. The lever arm is made of, what I have to guess is, some low-grade aluminum alloy that is so weak, it mustn't have been suitable for any other purpose, so Hornady got a deal on it.

I have come to the conclusion that Hornady has sold out, making crap and riding the coattails of it's own name. My $.02 anyways.
Old March 8, 2015, 03:23 PM   #13
GWS

Forster here for 43 years. Awesomely accurate trimmer. Versatile? Well yes.

You can buy an outside turning kit for it that is exceptionally accurate, and a slip-on 3-way cutter for several rifle calibers that trim, chamfer, and deburr with one cut.

Then there is the hollow-pointer if you like such things.....and the military primer pocket reamer........all done smooth as glass. No play on this tool.

Yes, you can add a motor down the road if you want. I did when I bought a progressive press.
Old March 8, 2015, 03:29 PM   #14
Fatal Wound

I use the Lee trimmers. Seem to work ok.
Old March 8, 2015, 03:41 PM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostner
Mounted it on a drill press and along with a Dillon Super Swage life is sweet.
Why would you put the Super Swage on a drill press?

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Wilson trimmer for low volume. I saw the micrometer version on sale somewhere in just the last week, so you could look for that. Bruno Shooter's Supply usually has the best prices, but the tools are backordered there. Sinclair/Brownells are the expensive places to shop, but the descriptions are good and Sinclair's stands for the Wilson are a great advantage. They are probably the most repeatable tool made. A power screwdriver adapter is available from Midway.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle