The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 4, 2009, 10:09 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Yes Sir... thats my baby... ( right now ) what is yours ???

I just can't tell you how excited I've become with my latest project ( the fast twist 22 Hornet loaded with heavier than normal, for caliber bullets )... the custom revolver I did up to expiriement with has gone so well, that I've ordered a new all weather Ruger 77-22 Hornet that will recieve 18" of 1 in 9" twist stainless barrel... I've tested the 68 grain spitzer HPBT loaded cartridges in the rotary magazine, & they function in the mag... can't wait to see what the cartridge will do in the rifle ( this matches very close to the 5.7 X 28, & in some cases exceads that cartridge & matches up to some of my 223 uses, with lots less powder use, & much lower over all cartridge weight )... probably nothing a bit of expiriementing with the 221 Fireball couldn't accomplish, but in a time of short quantities & expensive components, I'll be shooting this one alot more than the 223 over the next couple years... my bullet selection so far, ranges from 45 grains, to 68 grains, all with good results, I'm able to load cartridges from subsonic, to supersonic ( er... well faster than the speed of sound anyways )

I've done a few other "tweak jobs on other cartridges in the past, but this one is most promising of greatly exceading the use / purpose of the original cartridge... & has given my alot of satisfaction in developing, & has been the 1st cartridge I used a chrony on... it's just been fun to develope

so... whats your "baby" ( right now )... & what makes it special to you ???
Old November 4, 2009, 05:35 PM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

wow... so no one has a favorite cartridge they are excited about loading right now ??? maybe something they've tweaked on, & wants to say why they are excited about it, & what if anything they've tweaked & why ???
Old November 4, 2009, 05:40 PM   #3
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

160 Grn 9mm Bullet Project

*Originally posted in the Bullet Casting forum*

OK fellas...here are the results. I used a COL of 1.08" for all 3 my loads (10 rds each...5 to test cycling reliabilty and 5 for accuracy). This seated the bullet just barely touching the lands. A little concerned, I started with a mild load of 2.3 grains HP-38 (same as Win 231 in case you don't know). This load did not cycle the pistol at all. Stovepipe city! Primers looked just fine...no other excessive pressure signs. My next load was 2.5 grains. A little better here, but not quite enough oomph to cycle it yet. No pressure signs here either. Finally, 2.7 grains cycled the gun reliably with still no pressure signs. I would not be afraid to even bump it up another .2-.3 grains. Were they accurate? Well I shot this 5 shot group after I shot the initial 5 to test functionality. I shot this group at 10 yards, without my glasses...LOL! Probably couldn't do much better with my glasses! Leading was non-existant. One pass with the bore brush left the bore shiny and clean. In case you can't read the writing on the target:

11/1/09
9mm
Boolit: Lee 358-158 RF
Sized to .358" ( my Sig slugs at .3565")
Lars Carnauba Red lube
HP-38/Win 231 at 2.7 grains
COL: 1.080"
Distance: 10yds
5 shots
Sig Sauer P228

WARNING: This is not published load data. Experiment at your own risks. All firearms are different. Individual results may vary.

Good Luck!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old November 4, 2009, 05:49 PM   #4
azredhawk44

I have one in the NFA section that has piqued my interest.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=382374

A silenced .44-.308 revolving DA rifle with a dynamically sealing cylinder gap. Gonna talk to our dear missing WildAlaska about it next week.

Aside from that... I've finally discovered the joys of the boring old .38 special and Smith K-frame.
Old November 4, 2009, 06:36 PM   #5
Sam06

MWM, Right now my "Baby" is a Savage 340 in 30-30. I have a Receiver sight on it and i have been shooting 180gr cast bullets with Trail Boss. It is so fun to shoot and accurate that I have not loaded or shot anything else except a 41 mag in the last month.

You should try some cast bullets in that 22 Hornet. I bet someone has a bullet mold for a heavy 22 cal bullet with a flat nose.

Like these

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

I cannot remember if you cast or not but There are some nice molds out there and you could always have one made. I think that would be a very cool round. I have been thinking of it also. Maybe find a Savage Super sport in 22 Hornet and re-barrel it.
Old November 4, 2009, 09:28 PM   #6
snipecatcher

I've been playing around with the 300/221. Right now I'm loading subsonic with 240 Sierra Matchkings, and super sonic with 125 Nosler Ballistic Tips. The next thing I'd like to try are ~150 gr. tracers pushed as fast as possible.
-Dan
Old November 4, 2009, 11:43 PM   #7
Dave R

My pet is the rifle that got me into reloading in the first place--.17/.357mag wildcat. Not my idea--I inherited the rifle.

I switched to a slightly slower powder and got a bit more velocity, but that's about all I've done to fool with it.