The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 8, 2008, 07:17 PM   #1
HankB

Help me build my AR . . .

I was at the gun show and a stripped lower followed me home . . . but now I need to build something on it. I'm reasonably handy and have done some moderate gunsmithing from time to time, but I don't have any specialized AR-15 tools.

I've already got a standard Bushmaster rifle, stock except for the Jewell trigger I put in, so I'm generally familiar with the AR platform, but I'm looking for something more compact . . . sort of like the Bushmaster Modular Carbine, but, well, better.

The Vltor E-Mod stock is comfortable so I plan on getting one of those, but for the upper I'd like something short and compact - I'm not going to SBR it, so I need at least a 16" barrel. (And no M16 parts lest I draw the ire of the BATmen.) I'd like a flat top receiver, folding front and rear sights, and an accessory rail - the Daniel Defense Omega rail looks interesting.

There are a HUGE number of choices out there . . . what I'm looking for are specific suggestions for parts and sources, preferably from people who have "done that" with good results.

Hints on pitfalls to avoid (beyond using cheap no-name parts from China or something) would be appreciated, too.

Thanks . . .
Old July 8, 2008, 08:36 PM   #2
DnPRK

There are a few places that sell top notch stuff at decent prices, and they stand behind their product:
White Oak Armament
ADCO
Denny's Guns

I've bought from all 3 and it was good experiences all around.

Especially interesting is the 16" mid length barrel and 4.5# 2-stage match trigger by John Hollinger at White Oak.

I recommend free floating the barrel to maximize accuracy. I'm not too keen on rail systems (rails attract useless junk), but DPMS and clark custom both sell an extremely light weight carbon fiber free float tube. It can be cut down to mid length and should weight about 5 ounces. I've got them on a couple of my ARs.