The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 20, 2000, 06:45 PM   #1
Adam

I'd really like to have one of these. Years ago you could find them everywhere. But I haven't seen one in years. How much do they sell for? Also, I know Ithica made several shotguns; what is the model number of the one I'm talking about? Thank you.
Old January 20, 2000, 07:31 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Adam:
You are looking for the Model 37 pump action shotgun. Should you ever find one, doubtful you'll find the military model, I have the disassem/Assem procedures with photos.

HJN
Old January 20, 2000, 08:20 PM   #3
Ned Roundtree

I love US trench guns. Last I looked www.davidbuehn.com
had Ithaca M37, Nam era, 98%, $1695
stock #151

Just in case you wanted to look.
Old January 21, 2000, 12:06 AM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Like Harley said, you're not likely to find a military one, but Ithaca still makes the Model 37. I saw a review on one of the TV outdoor sports shows recently. The reviewer loved it.
http://www.ithacagun.com/store/newguns/classic_37.html
Old January 21, 2000, 07:08 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Ithaca 37 was made from patents by J M Browning,our greatest firearms designer. He died in 1927, but his weapons still keep being made, from the 1911 to the Browning 50.
The Ithaca is one great shotgun. the design doesn't lend itself to extended mags, other wise it's as good a design as any now made, and better than most.

BTW, never saw one in Nam, saw plenty of Model 12 and 97 Winchesters, A-5s, 870s and Savages.
Old January 21, 2000, 09:12 AM   #6
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Had one on our Boat, Delta RVN

They are highly sought after for high dollar Turkey Shoots here in my part of the country

HJN
Old January 21, 2000, 10:24 AM   #7
TheOtherMikey

I bought a model 37 from Ithaca last year. They are still making the "classic" with the corncob pump. They have a website which I believe is www.ithacagun.com

Regards, Mikey

------------------
Retired, Broke, and In Need of Brass, Powder, and Shot. Will Work To Shoot!
Old January 22, 2000, 12:09 AM   #8
Ned Roundtree

Thanks for the site. Still, find an Nam era one that someone will part with is hard to do.
Old January 22, 2000, 03:05 AM   #9
Destructo6

Saw several old Ithaca 37 riot shotguns a while back at B&E Guns in Cypress (now closed). Each had a 7 shot mag tube and bayonet lug. They wanted around $500. I think they (B&E) were claiming that the Ithacas were retired from a local prison.
Old January 22, 2000, 11:14 AM   #10
Gopher

Check out the local gun shows and pawn shops. I have a Model 37 DSPS that I purchased from a police supply place in Dallas. There are lots of these guns floating around out there because they were very popular with police departments. I saw one at Market Hall last weekend for $275 that was in good shape. Good luck and good hunting.
Old January 22, 2000, 01:49 PM   #11
Adam

Do the new Model 37s function the same way as the old ones? I know with the old ones, you didn't have to pull the trigger every time; you merely had to hold the trigger back and work the pump. Also, many thanks for all the responses.
Old January 23, 2000, 06:53 AM   #12
N.Y.G MP Pvt

The new Ithicas have a trigger disconnect(dues to lawsuits)I have a DSPS it's a nice gun. Anyone familiar w/ the bumper case here in NY?. Seems the police responded to a very disturbed woman armed w/ a butcher's knife. One was armed w/ an old style 37. She attacked and he fired. Problem is in the heat of the moment he kept racking the slide. Blew her almost literally to pieces(blew her hand off and hit her like 3 times). Needless to say the department will be looking for new shotguns . As far as I know this was ruled a good shooting but the media ate it up and smiled.