The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 5, 2012, 11:47 AM   #1
rugerdawg

Polymer lowers

A question for those of you who have tried out either the "plumcrazy" or "new frontier" lowers. Do they use a mil-spec or a commercial buffer tube and can they be changed out to an aluminum one?
Old November 5, 2012, 12:21 PM   #2
zukiphile

I have a couple of NFs, but not with their Receiver Extension. I am given to understand that their carbine stocks are a commercial tube and normal stock.

I've put together a stripped NF with a delton LPK. One problem: the NF is very tight and my magazine catch was very sticky before some time with a dremel.
Old November 5, 2012, 01:45 PM   #3
darestie

I'm 100% positive that my New Frontier LW-15 takes commercial diameter stocks, not mil-spec. It's a pretty good lower.
Old November 5, 2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Fishbed77

Does anyone have any experience with the ATI Onmi polymer receivers (that supposedly take standard AR lower parts). I'm thinking one might be nice for a lightweight hunting AR.
Old November 5, 2012, 04:59 PM   #5
wnycollector

Another polymer lower option is the Cav Arms MKII. I own three and they show zero wear after several years of use and thousands of rounds. Here is a link to the new maker of the Cav lowers.
Old November 7, 2012, 11:24 PM   #6
ronl

I've been very pleased with my New Frontier lower. The trigger was surprisingly good.
Old November 7, 2012, 11:59 PM   #7
The Long Shot

Quote:
A question for those of you who have tried out either the "plumcrazy" or "new frontier" lowers. Do they use a mil-spec or a commercial buffer tube and can they be changed out to an aluminum one?
They've been fine for what I've used them for. I wouldn't trust one with my life just because they haven't been proven like the aluminum ones have. They should accept any aftermarket buffer tube. If you are replacing the buffer tube it doesn't matter if it's a commercial or mil-spec buffer tube. It only matters when choosing a stock.
Old November 8, 2012, 02:16 AM   #8
Justice06RR

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with the ATI Onmi polymer receivers (that supposedly take standard AR lower parts). I'm thinking one might be nice for a lightweight hunting AR.
I have one of the ATI polymer complete lowers. It uses a commercial tube and stock.

It is actually decent quality as long as you don't make this your HD/SD rifle. mine is going to be built as a lightweight AR pistol so a polymer lower is perfect for this purpose.

A couple of things to note, magazines don't fall freely with the ATI lower. Not a problem for me as long as you know this ahead of time. The fitment with an upper is very tight, which is actually a good thing. No slop or play at all when attached to one of my complete uppers.
Old November 9, 2012, 03:15 PM   #9
viciouskitty

Whew justice your making me feel better, just ordered me an ATI complete lower a few days ago and I have been worried about reports of poor quality. A quick question if the lpk actually a standard GI type? or proprietary?