The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 29, 2011, 10:27 AM   #1
rnvinc

#B or #BB lead shot

I am hoping that the experience of someone here may be able to help me.*

I am looking for a supplier for lead shot in size #B or #BB.*

I cannot find #B in less than custom orders of 1000lb.*

I have found #BB in Remington "field grade" at ballisticproducts and at precisionreloading but I have determined that "field grade" is not uniformly round.*

My application requires a little closer tolerance in round uniformity in the # BB size.... or ....I can deal with the un-uniformity if I can find the smaller #B size lead shot*

Plated shot is more uniform but is not cost efficient for my application.*

Can someone lead me to a supplier that would carry either..... #B size lead shot in smaller quantities ...or #BB size lead shot in a different grade other than "field grade" ?

Thanks in advance for any help someone can give
Old July 29, 2011, 10:43 AM   #2
zippy13

Greetings rnvinc, and welcome aboard.

B and BB are sizes listed in the charts, they aren't very popular lead shot sizes and availability is limited. If you describe your application, we might be able to suggest an appropriate shot selection from what's typically available.
Old July 29, 2011, 11:04 AM   #3
snuffy

The reason it's hard to find is the lead shot ban for waterfowl has made it nearly obsolete. I was going to say look at BP, but see you already did.

Are you using it in an air gun? They went to steel BB's BEFORE I was a kid, I'm talking 1955! My dad got me my first BB gun when I was 8, he went looking for lead BB's, was told they were all steel now.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 1, 2011, 01:21 PM   #4
rnvinc

My application requires lead shot to be "fed" single file thru a thinwall metal tube with an ID (inside diameter) of 0.190" (in)...

#BB sizes shot is noted as 0.180" (in)

This would work fine in my application except for the fact that Remington #BB "field grade" shot is not uniformly round...and the "oblong" out-of-round shot will not "feed" thru my thinwall tube....

I feel that #B size shot (0.170") would work even with some unroundness but I can only find #B size in custom orders of 1000lb minimum...

As in my OP... plated shot is uniformly round but not cost effective....for my application....

If there are no other options in a supplier for #BB size in something other than "field grade"... I am left to sifting the unround #BB size shot thru a sieve to remove the unround shot.... which is time consuming and also not cost effective....

Therefore, I had hopes that someone with experience in suppliers of lead shot could lead to my query...
Old August 1, 2011, 06:39 PM   #5
PA-Joe

If it doesn't have to be lead you can use ball bearings.