The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 21, 2008, 08:15 PM   #1
MyGunsJammed

Newbie Range Report: Benelli M4 with different ammo

hello all.....

I got to go to the range today with my Benelli M4.....

brought some Remington 00 buck, some Royal low-recoil, full power 00 Buck (whatever that means), and some Hornandy Personal defense 00 buck.....

Overall the recoil from the Royal and Remingtons were manageable and I was able to hit my target 50-75 yards away....but one thing I did notice was that the pellets were spreading really wide by the time it hit the target.

I was using human sized paper targets and the pellets spread to the point that the groupings were like 1.5 feet apart...... that was when I was wondering if I was shooting my gun out of its effective range??

But anyhow when I popped in the Hornandy rounds I was hit with so much recoil that it was way beyond my comfort level. I would stop to complain, swear and cuss a bit in between shots......and right after the people shooting next to me would look at me and laugh....lol....even the girl I took to the range was laughing.. but anyway... I have a nice bruise on my shoulder now... hope I wont wake up sore tomorrow...

all in all... the gun is great, got many compliments at the range, in addition, it never jammed, fired everything ...I just have to throw some slugs in there and see how it does.
Old June 21, 2008, 08:30 PM   #2
chilie23

haha man i hope that shoulder is ok

and 75 yards is pretty much the precipice of 00 buck and a spread like that is
"normal"

Try it at more reasonable distances and report back
Old June 21, 2008, 09:46 PM   #3
VA9mm

My rule for buckshot 35 meters max. Slug 45 meters.