The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 26, 2006, 08:44 AM   #1
afcruchief

conceal and carry question.

I will be receiving my C&C permit this January (God willing) and I have a question about carrying the pistol with a bullet in the chamber.I decided on a Glock 36 because of the slim grip and because I wanted to shoot .45acp .I bought a inside the belt don hume holster for it.My concern is leaving a bullet in the chamber while holstered and having something catch the trigger and having a misfire.Now I know the trigger will be covered by the holster but with all the movement walking,sitting,jumping in and out of the truck,I am just not sure about the safety style trigger on the Glock.Any ideas??I would really hate to take a hydrashock in the foot.
Old September 26, 2006, 09:06 AM   #2
pax

afcruchief ~

Welcome to TFL!

Beginning to carry for the first time can be kind of nerve-wracking. It just seems like there's so much to worry about. But set your mind at ease on this one: a Glock carried in a good quality holster with the trigger covered is perfectly safe.

To check whether your holster is quality (and to set your mind at rest about jumping, running, moving around with it), unload the Glock. Double & then triple check that it is unloaded. Place it firmly into your holster, and then hold the holster upside down a few inches above your bed or couch. Shake gently. If the holster is good, the gun won't fall out. If the gun falls out, get a different holster.

The biggest danger point for an accidental or negligent discharge happens when placing the gun into the holster when the holster is on your belt. Two risks there: 1) clothing gets caught in/through the trigger, and then gets shoved into the holster along with the gun -- predictable results. And 2) a wayward finger drifts onto the trigger, and pulls the trigger as soon as the holster bumps it.

To avoid these hazards, be aware of where your trigger finger is at all times, keeping it far outside the trigger guard when holstering. And always always always holster slowly, even when practicing speed draws out on the range. There is absolutely no reason to holster quickly or incautiously, under any circumstances whatsoever. Get in the habit of sweeping your other clothing out of the way, and if your cover garment has a dangling pull string (esp one with one of those plastic length-adjuster doodads on the end), make sure the string doesn't have a chance to get into your trigger guard. Above all else, if you begin to put your gun into the holster and something "feels wrong," STOP and find out what it is before you continue. This is really only common sense, but it's important.

If after all this, you still do not feel comfortable carrying a Glock with a round in the chamber, you might want to look at other firearms to carry. That G36 is a great little gun, but limiting its round count even further, or carrying it without having it ready to go if you need it in a hurry, probably isn't the best of ideas.

HTH!

pax
Old September 26, 2006, 09:17 AM   #3
bartonkj

+1 what pax said

You are carrying for protection, you can't very well protect yourself if your firearm requires you to load a round before firing it. I will also say (while this is in pax's message I want to make it very clear) - you need to be very comfortable with whatever you carry. If you do all of what pax says and you still feel uncomfortable carrying the Glock - you should consider carrying a firearm you feel more comfortable with carrying with a round in the chamber.
Old September 26, 2006, 09:27 AM   #4
Para Bellum

just be careful when holstering your gun that no part of your shirt etc gets caught between trigger and holster as you push your gun into the holster.

Carrying a glock withe one in the chamber is what I do 24/7 for years in holsters covering the trigger guard....
Old September 26, 2006, 09:34 AM   #5
Duxman

Chief,

Get the BEST quality holster you can possibly afford. When I was first buying holsters, I went through sticker shock.

What could possibly be worth the difference a $10 holster and a $60 holster?

The answer - a lot.

Make sure the holster you buy has an auto retention feature. I prefer open top with the retention feature - this allows for fast draws, and yet prevents gun grabbers from taking the weapon out of the holster unless they draw it perfectly.

The retention protection also prevents the weapon from falling out while you are in motion. They have pictures of guys pulling the weapon with their entire body weight - and cannot unless it is done the right way.

http://www.tacticalholsters.com/glist.htm

With regards to reholstering - Unless you are taking your weapon off the holster for a reason....going to bed at night or going into an area where you cannot carrying a gun - this should be a minimal issue. Just be aware of the trigger and make sure no obstructions are blocking.
Old September 26, 2006, 09:40 AM   #6
Samurai

Listen to Pax.

Welcome to TFL! And, since you're new here, I'll let you in on a little secret: Pax is VERY smart! Listen to her, and all will be well.

I can totally relate to your concerns. Before I met my fiance, I had never fired a gun. Her father is a MAJOR gun enthusiast, and he got me into competition marksmanship. He also convinced me to get a concealed carry weapons permit (abbreviated CCW on this website), and I've been an occasional carrier ever since.

My soon-to-be father-in-law (abbreviated STBFIL, from now on!), tells me that my Springfield 1911 should be carried "cocked and locked, the way the Lord Our God and Saint John Browning intended!" But, I still had some trouble getting comfortable with this practice for about the first year I carried.

I'm just now getting comfortable with carrying my 1911 with one in the chamber and the safety on. (STBFIL got me a REALLY NICE Milt Sparks IWB holster when I graduated Law School, and it's custom molded to fit my gun WITH the safety on!) Now, I carry "cocked and locked," and I don't even think about it.

It takes some getting used to. But, you're headed on the right course. Keep it up! And again, welcome to TFL!

S.

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old September 26, 2006, 10:47 AM   #7
afcruchief

Thank you all for the advice.
Old September 26, 2006, 06:27 PM   #8
tony pasley

If you are carring iwb then it won't be your foot you will need to worry about.
Old September 26, 2006, 11:21 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...a hydrashock in the foot..." With an inside the pants holster, the bullet will go through more than just your foot. In any case, you Glock's trigger would have to get caught and pulled very hard to go bang. It's a very highly engineered pistol.
Old September 27, 2006, 05:40 AM   #10
CDH

I definitely agree that a good holster is important, and may even be considered more important than any particular pistol you carry because a good holster will secure the weapon well in concealment, keep the pistol in a completely safe condition while holstered, but allow quick presentation if you need to draw.
Properly designed holsters completely cover the trigger guards on pistols to keep them from being accidently pulled. At least the holsters that I choose to use do.

As far as drawing safely, that's where training and practice come in so don't overlook that part of it. You want to practice a technique where you draw in such a way as to keep your finger off the trigger until the pistol is coming up to position, and also fine tune your technique for sweeping off the safety on the way up as well (if the pistol has a safety).
You will NOT be able to do that quickly nor safely unless you train and practice. You might look into a local IDPA chapter and put in some practical range time for just such practice and training. A side benefit of shooting IDPA is that others who have gone before you will be happy to give you lots of really good advice.

As far as the Glock trigger, this following link is pretty good at explaining the various types of trigger systems being used by different pistol makers today, including the Glock.
http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/w...com/xddasa.htm

Quote:
I will be receiving my C&C permit this January (God willing)
Trust me, you WILL get your CCW permit when you go through the class. I firmly believe that God didn't intend for His people to be "victims"... unless they (freely) choose to be.

Carter
Old September 28, 2006, 11:06 AM   #11
JoshB

This is why I stay away from Glocks. Yes, they are simple to use, but I like the fact that it is impossible to fire a 1911 unless you actually intend to do so [the grip and thumb safety take care of that]. I wouldn't confuse a shorter grip w/ a smaller grip. There is a difference. I used to carry a Para w/ a double stack mag (translates to having a very thick grip). I now carry a Kimber single stack (translates to a thinner & more manageable grip; it also has the same length). Although I think a 1911 will put your safety considerations at ease, there are other platforms out there. Go to a good, small backwoods gun shop where the guy behind the counter has some sort of brain on his shoulders (i.e. go ask the guy w/ the flannel shirt, ripped jeans, long, shaggy grey beard, lump of chew in place in his cheek, who is carrying a S&W 500 in a shoulder holster, etc.) and tell him you're new to firearms and want to find something that fits your needs. He'll most likely let you handle every firearm in the store untill you find one that you like, fits your needs and is w/in your budget.
If you tell us where you live, someone will be able to point you to such a gun shop.
Old September 28, 2006, 11:27 AM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

Just for reference - carrying with a Glock chambered or unchambered as been one of the most repeated thread on Glocktalk.

Every argument made by mortal beings can be found in those numerous threads. So do a search there and you will find all.

My position - with proper training - the risk of an ND is less than the risk of not getting the gun into action quickly. That's what I get out of zillions of posts. Take a look.
Old September 28, 2006, 08:59 PM   #13
Tdog201

If you can not trust your gun to be carried ready to go then pick a different gun! I carry my P99 Walther ready to go at all times.
Old September 29, 2006, 11:57 AM   #14
Ace On The Line

afcruchief, which Hume holster did you purchase?
Old October 1, 2006, 06:41 PM   #15
exprt9

I use a trigger blok saf-t on my Glock 27 ony when carrying IWB until I feel comfortable enough to carry it without the trigger blok. During the winter I use my Blackhawk CQC paddle holster with Serpa retention. Of course I never carry it without a round in the chamber. Either that or get a IWB holster that has a tension screw to keep the gun secured and I would not recommend a holster with the thumb break.
Old October 1, 2006, 07:45 PM   #16
raymond-

thanks...that's it! i was racking my brain trying to recall the little device I
pop behing the triiger. when i'm unable to carry in a holster, i may pop into
a bag and want the trigger a little more protected. has worked well for several
years now.
Old October 1, 2006, 09:43 PM   #17
JohnKSa
Staff

There is nothing (short of causing severe damage to the gun or holster or both) that you can do to a Glock to make it fire if it is in a quality holster that covers the triggerguard.
Old October 2, 2006, 05:35 PM   #18
CraigJS

And as important as getting a good holster is, GETTING A GOOD GUN BELT is just as important.. One made for the very purpose of carrying a holstered gun.
You won't regret it !!!

Be safe.
Old October 2, 2006, 06:05 PM   #19
orionengnr

A lot of good advice here. Pretty hard to contribute anything further, but here goes:

1. A good holster is worth it's weight in gold.

2. A good belt is a necessary complement to a good holster.

3. Good technique is not a substitute for either/both of the above.

4. If you are not comfortable/confident in your choice of carry weapon,
there are lots of other choices out there. In the last 2 1/2 years I have changed my opinion of the "Perfect Carry Piece" about once a month, and have the "buys" and "sells" to prove it. Okay, exagerating, but only by a bit. That is half the fun, and if you buy used, you will not (necessarily) lose your shirt on every purchase. Point is, find what works for you. If a Glock is it, you have lots of company. If not, you have lots of other choices.

5. One last thing I did not see mentioned--if you have a pistol/holster combo that is not confidence-inspiring in holstering/re-holstering, I have been known to remove the holster, insert the pistol safely, and then don the holster with the gun inserted. No worries about reholstering that way--it's right out in front of you, and the chance of snagging clothing or other ND inducers is pretty much nullified.

Best, Rich
Old October 3, 2006, 06:53 AM   #20
xrmattaz

Long time Glock user here, I understand your concern (used to have concerns myself!).

Don your carry holster (no pun intended), triple-check that your Glock is UNLOADED/no magazine/ammo in another room, etc. Spend a few hours unholstering/reholstering the empty pistol. If you hear the trigger "click", something is amiss.

My bet is that you won't ever hear that "click".....and your mind will be eased.