The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 12, 2000, 10:09 PM   #1
Jim V

I just got my Outers Foul Out III unit over the week-end. UPS delivered it to the front porch while I was gone and the package required a signature for delivery but that is another story.

I had two Norinco 1911's to clean after firing over a 1,000 rounds total through them over the week end. I had scrubbed the bores well with a brass bore brush and Hoppe's Bench Rest solvent. Both still showed fouling and green still appeared on the patches.

Tonight I took the time to set up the Foul Out and clean the bores. Following the instructions, I swabbed the bores well with solvent, followed by several dry patches and then degreased both barrels inside and out. I placed the proper sized rubber plug in the first barrel and clamped it in the vise and filled the barrel about 1/2 way with COP-OUT. I then placed the stainless anode/cathode in the barrel and filled the bore the rest of the way with COP-OUT, slid the electrical unit down the rod and plugged everything in. After a 1/2 hour I checked on the process and to see if there was any rust showing in the solution. There was none and the process continued. It took about 2 hours to clean the first barrel of copper wash.

The second barrel received the same attention but the fouling came out much faster as it only took an hour to clean that barrel.

you can tell if there is fouling being removed if you shut the unit off and remove the rod from the bore, any fouling will start to be plated on it. Cleaning the rod for the next use requires the sanding of it and a complete degreasing.

I found the unit to be a big help in removing stubborn fouling that has resisted Sweets and other copper solvents. It has no affect on chrome lined barrels so if you have such barrels there is no chance of ending with a chromeless bore. The only fouling that the unit will remove are copper and lead so if you have shot some cupro-nickle rounds and have fouling, you are out of luck.

I think that I am going to build me a better fixture for holding 1911 barrels and not use the bench vise. Non-conductive jaws are required for the unit to work correctly.

I give the unit

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"
Old September 13, 2000, 09:52 AM   #2
ROSANGHAL

Hey Jim

I just recieved my recently too. It took quite awhile to clean out my first barrel also. It had over 1500 rounds of FMJ. But when it was done with cop out it had no more green coming off the patches. The lead also didn't take as long.

I like it and just ordered more solution so that I can clean all the barrels to my handguns this way.

I bought a small cheap vise and attached thick foam insulation tape onto the jaws. It worked pretty good for me. I'll probably have to replace it after the third or fourth cleaning though, or find a more durable rubber textured tape.

Oh and another thing! That Cop-out plus is real good at rusting metal. I accidentally got a drop on the vise jaw and after only being on it for about 3 to 4 minutes when I wiped it off I saw a brown tint to the steel and had to sand it off. So becareful on leaving the stuff in your barrel for too long without using the charging unit so it can do it's job.

Thanks
Ross T.