The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 26, 2010, 07:54 AM   #1
FL_WARRIOR

S&W 916-A

greetings all, first time post for me, I'm looking forward to everyone's words of wisdom and experience. I'm showing my pawn shop rescue for your imput. S&W model 916-a in 12 gauge. The piece itself was in terrible shape with multiple scratches (deep ones) on the stock and the foregrip. Along with bad pitting on the receiver. I've baked on a new finish with Brownells bake on, and sanded and refinished the wood. I'm very happy with the result, but still have a cycle problem. Trigger group has been taken out and cleaned, oiled, re-installed but still can't seem to get the flawless cycling that I want. I know that these were plagued with problems through out, via the research I've done. I'm struggling with the thought that the $$$ spent seems to be for not. In any event, thanks in advance for your words..

be well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&W (916-A).jpg (202.4 KB, 84 views)
Old October 26, 2010, 10:46 AM   #2
zippy13

Greetings FL_WARRIOR, and welcome aboard

Nice gun, sorry to hear of your cycling problem. I don't have clue about your specific S&W; but, all pumps basically do the same steps within their cycle: Fire, set disconnector, unlock action, retard slide, extract, eject, cock hammer, release round from magazine, advance slide, lift/position round, chamber round, lock action, release disconnector, activate trigger, drop hammer, and repeat the cycle.

Can you tell us which one(s) of these functions is being bothersome? Is it more a problem with one brand of ammo over another? Was it a problem before you did your re-hab work? When the mag is full or low?

Last edited by zippy13; October 26, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old October 26, 2010, 06:59 PM   #3
FL_WARRIOR

thanks Zippy for your thoughts. The problem is when extracting a spent round, and I've tried all types of loads (thinking it was with certain ammo) but it is with all rounds. The feeling is, the release lever is grinding against some other metal and makes it very hard to re-rack a round unless that lever is activated at all times. ie keeping my finger active on the slide release while re-loading a round. (I butchered that description didn't I, sorry) Guess a trip to my G'Smith is gonna be in order, cause it is beyond my talents. BTW great forum..
Old October 26, 2010, 08:38 PM   #4
zippy13

Often when there is a rubbing, there's nothing wrong except an incorrect re-assembly. I can envision a scenario where the previous owner took the gun apart, and it started rubbing after reassembly. So, instead of finding a fix, the gun went to the pawn shop. I downloaded and perused the Owner's Guide -- the assembly instructions aren't very detailed. They simply say to reverse the dis-assembly instructions (If the dis-assembly requires you to push something with a screwdriver, are you supposed to be able to pull the same part with a screwdriver? ). The parts diagram gives you an idea of how the parts interact. Could be the bolt slide isn't properly aligned. You didn't mention, does the gun function smoothly when not loaded?

If you don't have the Owner's Guide, check out Steves Pages and click for the appropriate download. I'm sure a donation would be appreciated, the site represents a significant effort.
Old October 27, 2010, 08:50 AM   #5
FL_WARRIOR

thanks,,,will do,,
Old October 30, 2010, 01:43 PM   #6
dgludwig

Hate to be the one to put a damper on your project but the Smith&Wesson Model 916 (based on an old Nobel design) is a shotgun that has had feeding/extraction problems from the get-go that are almost impossible to resolve. The best advice you're ever going to get is to not put any significant (more than twenty bucks is way too much imo) money into fixing it. They aren't worth that much to begin with. If you are competent to work on it yourself, "nothing ventured; nothing gained" applies, I guess.

In any event, welcome to The Firing Line.
Old November 4, 2010, 06:24 PM   #7
FL_WARRIOR

Yes, I'm aware of the history, Unfortunately... Extraction not a problem. It's the reliability of the feeding of the round that is the prob. Well,, maybe it can be a collection piece in the case. But, in any event, thanks for everyone's input in this.