The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 21, 2013, 05:12 AM   #1
bamaranger

fiber optic clamp on sights question (turkey gun)

I've never been a fan of beads only on a turkey gun. Recently a Mossberg 835 for bamaboy has come to the house, and I am giving some thought to toting a 26" over/under import double once the leaves come out too.

Both guns have beads with vent rimbs. No mid bead. The Mossberg is tapped but I am not interested in an dot or glass optic of any sort at this time.

I've used fiber optics on bow sights, but only recently came up with a fiber optic bowsight that was tough enough to hold up to hard hunting.

What are some tough, adjustable, screw on fiber optic sight. I see them in the catalogs, what works and will hold up over a hard hunted season?
Old February 21, 2013, 10:22 AM   #2
MTSCMike

I use the (I think Hi-Viz) magnetic ones that slip over the vent rib. They put the fiber optic rod at about the same level as the bead, the bead stays on to provide a positive stop during recoil and the base self-centers on the rib. The magnets are very strong and I have never had one get accidently knocked off.

As a side benefit, they are easily removed and replaced so I have a red and a green. I can choose the best color for the conditions of the day at hand.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:51 PM   #3
TxGun

Yeah, HiViz and TruGlo seem to lead the pack for what you are looking for.