The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 8, 2002, 09:52 PM   #1
samualt

IWB Holsters VS Belt Holsters

OK, I have a Kel-Tec P11 (very small 9mm) and bought a cheapo IWB (Inside the Waistband) clip holster. I was looking it over and it seemed to work pretty well, even though I had gained a few pounds and didn't have a lot of extra pants space left ;-)
However, I saw that no matter what I did I was still going to have to wear a jacket, sweater, or shirt over the holster to hide the top part of the gun. (I knew this before hand). I bought this clip-holster so I could remove the rig easily when I like.

Wouldn't it be better to just buy a belt-holster that rides high? That way you don't have something digging into your pants and if your going to have to wear something to conceal it anyway why not be as comfortable as possible?

Opinions? Which do you use and why?

P.S. I was thinking of the "Vampire" at this place:
http://www.grahamscustomgunleather.b...ric.html?pid=3
Old November 8, 2002, 10:24 PM   #2
nemesis

I use a tuckable IWB holster and it is completely out of sight without a secondary outer garment.
Old November 11, 2002, 10:30 AM   #3
M1911

samualt:

you are correct that with most IWB holsters, you still need a cover garment. However, the cover garment can be shorter than if you are using a standard high-ride OWB. In addition, there is less of the holster to be seen if your cover garment accidentally opens, so you are less likely to flash. Downside for me is that IWB just isn't as comfortable, particularly since I seem to be steadily growing sideways. These days I usually use an OWB holster. Either a traditional high-ride, Lou Alessi's CQC/S, or a Gochenour Extreme High Ride

M1911

Last edited by M1911; November 11, 2002 at 09:55 PM.
Old November 11, 2002, 11:46 AM   #4
chiz45

check out this rig, the Blade Tech UCH:

http://shop.blade-tech.com/merchant.ihtml?id=19&step=2