The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 21, 2002, 05:45 PM   #1
yzguy

I just got a brand new Rem Express 870!!

Now what should I do, or not do? Is it ok to dry fire (with nothing in the chamber)? I heard someone say to pump it for about a half hour to loosen things up.... Should I clean and lube it first? Is there any internal smoothing I can do to help smooth things out? any instructional disassembly sites?

Thanks,
Mark
Old October 21, 2002, 07:28 PM   #2
bamf

Dry firing it is fine, although a snap cap doesn't hurt at all.

Clean and lube it definitely, if you don't have the manual go to remington's website and get it.

Now buy a box of shells and head to the range, shoot them all and repeat.
Old October 21, 2002, 07:30 PM   #3
HSMITH

Don't clean it or lube it, just shuck it till you hurt, for about 10 days. Dry fire to your hearts content, won't hurt a thing. Then clean it, and don't lube it. Shoot the snot out of it, and don't clean or lube it, shoot the snot out of it some more. Within 10K rounds of this it will operate as if made of glass. Personally I never lube my 870. Anytime I have lubed it I have had trouble, as in sub 0 weather it gets stiff, or after 4 or 5K rounds it gets stiff. I shoot mine dry, just enough oil to keep the rust at bay and that is it.

I know some guys that have used non-embedding lapping compound to smooth an 870 out, but I have found that shooting the snot out of it makes a guy a much better shot than the guys with the slick new 870s.
Old October 21, 2002, 08:55 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

H's approach has a lot to recommend it, but...

Lube is also rustproofing. While excess lube can gum up an action, it doesn't get cold enough to freeze up in at least half our states.

There's old threads on smoothing up pump guns.

HTH...
Old October 21, 2002, 10:43 PM   #5
yzguy

I don't have to worry much about sub zero weather, ever.... I'm in Florida!!

I was going to start the pump smoothing technique tonight while watching tv, but the GF got annoyed rather quickly, and could not hear the TV, it was kinda loud....

I do have the instructions and pulled the barrel off, and trigger assembly out and cleaned them off, wiping off all lube I could with a rag, then wiped down everything outside with the rag after it went back together.

Also I have heard things about making sure the stock fits me... I don't think it does, my Right hand wrist does not feel right when holding it. It feels like the wrist has to bend too much. Should the stock be longer to fit me right?