The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 27, 2015, 09:26 PM   #26
idek

Quote:
One more question, thought: When we first moved onto these 14 acres, I went walking the back 10, unarmed. After we met the neighbors, he showed me some pictures he took of the wild boars that lived back behind all of our places, and were destroying/robbing his deer feeders. They were about 500#, huge!

In an emergency setting, would any of these shells take down a boar...
Against normal size boars, .30-30 ammo would do well. A 500# pig might be a different story. Might consider a premium load with a 150-grain Barnes TSX bullet for better penetration or move up to heavier bullets.
Old August 28, 2015, 12:17 AM   #27
emcon5

Missed that about the pigs. Depending on what they eat (deer feed plots rather than acorns) they can be good eating, if you want some meat in the freezer. Tend to be leaner than store bought pork.
Old August 28, 2015, 08:47 AM   #28
Ineedvenison

Thanks, Idek. I might not need premium for up here in my deer plot, but if it should run and need tracking, it might be wise to have a shell that would impact a wild boar. Those that are back there are wild, and although maybe raiding some corn deer feeders, they are totally acorn feeders, etc., and wild. The neighbor that showed me the pics said he was nearly done in, although he was a very experienced hunter. Maybe I'll even take a friend and my dog if by any chance I need to track.

Our dog is a Rhodesian Ridgeback, Shepherd mix, and he loves hunting!!!
Old August 28, 2015, 09:07 AM   #29
The Big D

I'd be comfortable using the Winchester Power Max load on boar of any size at short range. As range increased it would quickly become marginal for an animal that big.
Old August 28, 2015, 09:50 AM   #30
Ineedvenison

Thanks!
Old August 28, 2015, 09:58 AM   #31
emcon5

Even if they eat acorns, they may still be worth eating. Try and bag a medium sized sow and try it out.
Old August 28, 2015, 10:06 AM   #32
Doyle

Quote:
Even if they eat acorns, they may still be worth eating.
A pig that has been eating a good acorn diet will taste very well indeed. I don't even attempt to eat mature boars - won't even waste my time getting them out of the woods. Buzzards got to eat too. However, a nice sow that has been feeding on fall acorns is prime meat.

Tags
150 grain , 30-30 winchester , beginner , deer hunting , rifle sighting