The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 29, 2001, 01:37 PM   #1
Morgan

Sistema Colt 1927 and McCormick magazines

I just got home with a new toy, a 1927 Colt Sistema, and amazingly enough, just caught the UPS guy with my Natchez order, which included thre Chip McCormick Shooting Star magazines.

I'm playing with the new gun (very nice, and only $300!), and I try to slip in one of the new magazines... It is very tight, and about half way, it sticks. All three of them are the same. I could probably jam it all the way in, but I'd never get the damn thing out.

Are these magazines wider than normal? The one magazine that came with the gun is a tiny bit narrower than the McCormicks, and fits snug, but well. Are the Sistema Colt magazine wells tighter than normal pre-war Colts?

I have, by the way, confirmed it is not the grip screws or such that are the problem.

Anyone with any info, please help...
Old June 29, 2001, 03:04 PM   #2
Bud Helms

Morgan,

Just send those damn McCormick's to me. I'll gladly take this burden from a fellow shooter ...

Seriously, do you have a caliper and a straight edge to verify the width difference?
Old June 30, 2001, 04:17 AM   #3
Morgan

I don't have a micrometer handy, but the McCormicks look to be about 1mm wider than the original magazine. I'll be able to measure both on Sunday. I've called McCormick's, and a gentleman there miked a mag at .545". Until I can guage mine, I guess I won't know what the deal is.

I'll post what I find.
Old June 30, 2001, 09:48 AM   #4
Bud Helms

Good. Keep us posted on what you discover. I have several Shooting Stars and really like them. The function perfectly in a Colt Cmdr 1991 and a Springfield Mil Spec. I was thinking of the straight edge to lay across the side and make sure they aren't bulged. Truthfully, I doubt it. It'd be interesting to know if the mag that came with the 1927 is measurably narrower. I don't have any experience with them.

If they measure the same or pretty close, you might want to make sure the trigger bow is not arched out of it's track in the frame. I have found that to be a reason for sticky mags.
Old July 1, 2001, 01:53 PM   #5
jim-alex

Morgan -

i have the same problem with Shooting Star mags in a Sistema colt. The factory magazine is .539 at top whereas the Shooting Star mearured .544-.545". I can insert the shooting star mag by either pressing the mag release or by giving it a hit with my hand.
The mag will not drop free but can be pulled out quite easily.

I have just completely dissembled the pistol, so it is not a problem with the trigger bow intruding into the mag well. Just a really snug fit. Darn! they seem like good quality mags at a good price!

Regards,
Jim
Old July 1, 2001, 02:55 PM   #6
Bud Helms

There you have it. If you guys want to be rid of those 'ol fat McCormick mags, email me. I love 'em.
Old July 1, 2001, 02:59 PM   #7
Morgan

Jim - thanks, that's what I've found as well.

Next question: who makes a good magazine that will fit better?

P.S. Sensop, you may be hearing from me .
Old July 1, 2001, 03:15 PM   #8
JMBrowning

Try using GI mags from that era (1911A1). Gun Parts probly has em.
Old July 1, 2001, 11:01 PM   #9
Morgan

Well, today I got the chance to try a bunch of different magazines in this thing, and they're all tight. The GI and Mec-Gar actually fit, but too snug for my taste.

The mag that came with it is significantly worn, making me think it, too, was very tight when new (it is serial numbered, but does not match the gun, which fits Jim's tale of his gun being tight also).

I figure I've got two choices... One, wear down the magazine a bit with some sandpaper, or have a tiny bit of metal shaved from the inside of the well. I figure I'll go for number two, so any magazine will work correctly in this gun.

For the record, I'm still very pleased with the gun. It is a fine piece, and has something of a history to boot.

Thanks for the help and advice, everyone!
Old July 3, 2001, 01:24 PM   #10
GrandmasterB

I've experienced a similar problem with Shooting Star mags and my Caspian framed 1911. 2 out of 3 mags are too tight to use in the Caspian, but fit other 1911's fine.

My Wilson Combat mags fit in the Caspian very easily, and I would suggest you try one in your Sistema.
Old July 3, 2001, 01:56 PM   #11
Morgan

Well, I went to the local militaria/junk dealer, and dug through a big box of 1911 mags, finding a bunch that fit fine. A Wilson, a Mec-Gar, a few Colt 8-rouders (with McCormick followers, no less), and a few no-name, apparently military contract (also with McCormick followers).

So, no smithing for me. Thanks again, everyone.