The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Newton24b

rifles and non pointed bullets

real begininner question.

i have seen time to time photos online of cast bullets in rifle cartridges. what im curious on is the actual performance of cast or jacketed wadcutter and semi wadcutters in a rifle.

i know that a .312 is recommended for cast lead in a marlin 30-30, and also in a 7.62x54r but what about accuracy with range?
Old February 28, 2013, 11:34 PM   #2
mehavey

You are only going to find those in pistol calibers (357, 44, 45,etc) and then really only flat nose (more often) and/or semi-wadcutter.
But once tuned to the rifle, they shoot exceptionally well.

Old March 1, 2013, 01:52 AM   #3
david_r

Newton,
Perhaps you are asking the wrong question and you meant flat point bullets and not SWC/WC bullets?
Old March 6, 2013, 07:59 AM   #4
Newton24b

wadcutters are my main interest. i just happen to own something that can use any .32 caliber pistol bullet and am thinking i need a nice woodchck load.
Old March 6, 2013, 08:13 AM   #5
mehavey

In that case, just load some w/ an OAL that will optimize any jump to the throat (crimping there)and
bang away with target velocity loads.

"Should" work.

NOTE-1: Unfortunately if you're running a lever action, there is possibility/probability that a full wadcutter will not cycle.
I just tried it with a `92 Winchester 357 using a 38 special case.

NOTE-2: That same rifle does cycle 38 Special semi-wadcutters, and SWC do a supper job on woodchucks

Last edited by mehavey; March 6, 2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old March 6, 2013, 05:32 PM   #6
Ozzieman

I have never used any of his 32’s but a lot of everything else.
Give him a call and ask him for help. Great guy to work with

http://www.pennbullets.com/32/32-caliber.html

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old March 6, 2013, 05:58 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

The flat nose, wide flat nose, long flat nose, and similar rifle bullet designs for cast bullets are mainly the brainchildren of Veral Smith. They are excellent hunters (their main purpose). Many are available commercially from different casters, but Beartooth Bullets has the best quality and selection of those designs that I've seen and will size them to order. Marshall makes a 173 grain bullet for the .30-30 lever guns, available in .309" and .310". It's not uncommon for a lever gun to prefer bullets 0.002" larger than their slugged groove diameter (nominally .308"), but usually by the time you get to 0.003 over, accuracy is falling off again. I've never heard the suggestion of 0.312" for one before. I'd worry that brass with thick necks might not chamber well with a bullet that large inside them.

Slug your bore and size to fit. Order some .309" and some .310", and see what you think.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 7, 2013, 08:29 PM   #8
Sport45

Quote:
i just happen to own something that can use any .32 caliber pistol bullet
What cartridge are you loading?

If it's the .30-30 or 7.62x54R you mentioned, you can get cast rifle bullets for those that will probably work better. The twist rate may not work well with a short pistol bullet.

Last edited by Sport45; March 8, 2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old March 8, 2013, 12:32 AM   #9
Newton24b

im just looking for a small critter load/fun time round.
Old March 8, 2013, 04:00 AM   #10
Rangefinder

I guess I'm not entirely clear on the main question.... BUT, flat-nose are pretty much the standard for 30-30, being a tube magazine, and an awful lot of game has been taken with that cartridge. So the accuracy should speak for itself. Frankly, within short to medium range, accuracy is dependent on the bullet base far and beyond the nose. If you are inquiring about cast, specifically, well... that's a whole topic in and of itself. But this is what can happen with cast from my Mosin 1938 "izzy" using cast loads. Granted, it's "pointy", but it IS a 10-shot group of cast bullets at a range of 50 yards.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.