Marlin 60 18 18.56%
Marlin 795 6 6.19%
Savage Mark II 15 15.46%
Other 28 28.87%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 22, 2010, 09:21 AM   #1
Rjeezie

First .22

Decided to get my first .22 to start getting the mechanics of rifle shooting down. Read through tons of forums and so many opions out there. I will use this basically for plinking and target. Price is probably the most important factor (things are tight), accuracy and then aftermarket. Know there are a lot more choices, but this is pretty much what I've narrowed it down to (Unless somebody presents something else).
Old July 22, 2010, 09:51 AM   #2
comn-cents

My 2cents, find a used bolt action, especially if money is tight. Around here you can find them from $80-$200 bucks. Most of the one's you mentioned can be found used. I say bolt because you can shoot .22 of all sizes including .22short cb's for cheap practice.
Old July 22, 2010, 09:58 AM   #3
jmortimer

Had Ruger 10/.22 and two 795's. For the $$$ the 795 is hard to beat. Mine have never FTF or FTE. Gave to 10/.22 to a friend - it is a great gun and the rotery magazine is a genius design. I just like the "clips" in the 795. I wish they had the stainless models when I got mine. Its hard to go wrong with any of the guns under consideration - they are all great.
Old July 22, 2010, 10:19 AM   #4
hometheaterman

For what you stated, I'd go with the 10/22. The others are great choices too, but I think for what you want the 10/22 is the way to go. If you are going for out of the box accuracy the Savage Mark II would be the way to go. However, for me I like a semi auto for plinking. This leaves the 10/22 and Marlin 60 as great options. Another one to look at is the Marlin 795. Basically a magazine fed Marlin 60. If you want a semi auto, but want out of the box accuracy one of the two Marlins is the way to go. They are often more accurate out of the box than the 10/22's. However, you also said you wanted aftermarket support and this is where the 10/22 is the clear winner. There are tons and tons of aftermarket parts for the 10/22's and you can make them more accurate than the Marlins with some work. They just aren't out of the box. The 10/22 is plenty accurate in stock form for anything you need to do with a .22. Don't get me wrong.
Old July 22, 2010, 10:43 AM   #5
nate45

Browning T-Bolts are very accurate.
Old July 22, 2010, 11:05 AM   #6
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Price, plinking and Marlin 60 are all words that belong together. Been shooting mine since 1964 and still having a ball with it in spite of owning 10 other 22's including (2) 10/22's
[IMG][/IMG]

Fired this 50 yard target day before yesterday with that same 36 year old gun, cheap Barska scope and bulk ammo after nephew shot it for a month without cleaning it. No sighters just pulled it off the rack and fired 10 shots rapid fire from a cold dirty rifle.

Now I will tighten up the scope mount, clean it and try again at 100 yards if it ever stops raining.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 22, 2010, 11:14 AM   #7
aarondhgraham

Dang Grump,,,

That's nice shooting,,,
And a great testimony to the Marlin.

I voted to recommend the Marlin because I've owned it as well as a 10/22,,,
I just felt the Marlin was all around a better gun.

Tube mags care a bit of a pain to load,,,
At least a pain compared to the Ruger cylinder mags,,,
But all in all I always thought the Marlin performed a lot better.

JMHO,,,

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 22, 2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Scorch

For just all-around reliability and maintainabilitiy, it's hard to beat a 10/22. Plus, you can get so many aftermarket goodies for them. Not that the Marlin isn't a good shooter, but once they wear out they are dead. Break a bolt buffer, and it's toast. Bend a feed lip and you're done. Break the ejector, it's all over. The Ruger, on the other hand, has no bolt buffer to break, the feed lips and ejector are part of the magazine, and $10 will fix it. It really is an ingenious design.
Old July 22, 2010, 11:55 AM   #9
L_Killkenny

10/22. Not only are they very reliable but they have the best magazine in the business. Great when bone stock but if you choose it can become anything you want a rimfire to be and change as you change. What you want today may not be what you want tomorrow. No other 22 is such a chameleon.

LK
Old July 22, 2010, 12:01 PM   #10
RimfireChris

I voted for the 795. It's the most affordable of the bunch, and they're still running the $25 back rebate far as I know. Let us know what you pick and above all else, be safe and have fun.
Old July 22, 2010, 12:14 PM   #11
LukeA

Quote:
Not that the Marlin isn't a good shooter, but once they wear out they are dead. Break a bolt buffer, and it's toast. Bend a feed lip and you're done. Break the ejector, it's all over.
For the two of those things that you can do, you fix them by popping the e-clip off the pin and replacing the broken bit. For the other thing, I'm not sure how you'd damage the 1/4" high by 1/8" thick wings of the lifter assembly that are totally enclosed in the receiver without a hammer and a screwdriver.
Old July 22, 2010, 12:33 PM   #12
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

If I ever break it I will let you know, right now all I have ever had to do is clean it. I'm not counting the one failure to feed, some (ahem, koff, koff), old dope who should have known better got distracted and slipped one round in backwards.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 22, 2010, 01:13 PM   #13
Chettt

Get a Henry lever action. It's more now but it's the last .22 rifle you'll buy.
Old July 22, 2010, 01:17 PM   #14
riverwalker76

You can't go wrong with a Marlin 60. Be sure to clean it after the first and second firing with a good cleaner / lube and it will last you for years. I have one Marlin 60 that I bought 6 years ago that has close to 10k rounds down the tube. I shoot it all the time, and it still holds it's accuracy. I paid $90 for it New and on sale, and I've never regretted it. I prefer the tube fed to the magazine fed simply because I squirrel and rabbit hunt with a .22 . I bought a Spee-D-Loader from Cabelas and it allows me to reload with 14 rounds within a few seconds.
Old July 22, 2010, 01:43 PM   #15
Evan Thomas

I'd definitely suggest a bolt-action as the best way to learn to shoot well. They're accurate, and they don't encourage you fling lead downrange the way a semi-automatic will. Also, if you think you might want to hunt with a larger caliber bolt-action down the road, a bolt-action .22 will always be your go-to gun for practice.

I voted "other," because I'm a big fan of CZ's. If you can find a used CZ 452 trainer, it shouldn't break the bank, and I think they're the best value going in bolt-action .22's.

Otherwise, I'd say go with the Savage.
Old July 22, 2010, 03:07 PM   #16
James R. Burke

Browning lever or auto.
Old July 22, 2010, 03:18 PM   #17
Te Anau

The Savage Mark II is the best gun of those listed in the poll.Its ergonomics are right and its the most accurate of the bunch.
Old July 22, 2010, 08:29 PM   #18
smith357

Other

A nice used Anschutz 64, or BRNO possibly a Remington 513, Mossberg 44, or Wincheser 75.
Old July 22, 2010, 08:50 PM   #19
RimfireChris

Dang, the 795 ain't recieving a lotta love from the looks of the poll.
Old July 22, 2010, 10:10 PM   #20
Buzzcook

If you have the funds, the CZ Lux is an excellent bolt action.

When I was a kid my brother and I shared a Remington Fieldmaster. I remember it fondly.

One of the things I like to have in a .22 is a tube magazine. That's why I prefer the Marlin model 60 over the Ruger 10/22.
Old July 27, 2010, 11:52 PM   #21
Rjeezie

Well I went ahead and got a 10/22. It was between that and the Marlin 795, but decided on the 10/22 because of all the customization I can do to it. I figure it will be fun to do some stuff to it! Thanks everybody for the feedback.
Old July 28, 2010, 12:32 PM   #22
drewsdiablo

Winchester Model 61 Pump Action
Old July 28, 2010, 12:37 PM   #23
stargazer65

Quote:
Get a Henry lever action. It's more now but it's the last .22 rifle you'll buy
I 2nd that!
Old July 28, 2010, 01:48 PM   #24
predecessor

For a first rifle I would go with a CZ 452 or a Marlin or Henry lever.
Old July 28, 2010, 02:24 PM   #25
comn-cents

I guess some missed it. He bought a 10/22!

Tags
.22 , h&r , marlin , savage