The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 15, 2011, 02:42 AM   #1
randomvalleyguy

savage axis VS. 11fcxp3?

I'm looking for a rifle purely for hunting, and savages have nice features for a budget gun. I want to know what the difference is between the savage axis and the savage 11fcxp3. I know the stock on the axis is super, SUPER, cheap. I hear a lot of people complaining about it twisting. I'm wondering if the 11fcxp3 has one that's more solid. Both have the free floating barrel and dual pillar bedded stock (at least that's what the reviews I've read said) but I can't seem to find out what the differences are. I want one of the two for a hunting rifle I'll take out 3 or 4 times a year. And I know more expensive rifles are better but I'm BROKE. I don't want a remington 770; and the maverick and mossberg don't have all of the features the savage has. Savage seems good for the price.
Old May 15, 2011, 06:15 AM   #2
Polinese

One of the big differences with the axis stock is that the recoil leg is integral to the stock instead of sandwiched between the reciever and barrel nut. Also the way its designed they use one stock for all the chamberings and just use a different trigger guard for changing the length of the magazine well. All thats effective, I haven't really had trouble with my stock twisting or anything, but if I was going to do it again I'd get the 11 just for the selection of after market parts... you decide the stock sucks you can just swap it out. Currently there is nothing available for customizing a axis, at least not that I know of.
Old May 15, 2011, 01:50 PM   #3
randomvalleyguy

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna go with the 11 in a .308. The ballistics are just amazing on that round. I was going to go with a marlin 336 30-30, but the ballistics worry me. If I ever needed to take a 200+ yard shot I'd be SOL.
Old May 15, 2011, 04:05 PM   #4
Polinese

I like the 308 and also picked up a 110 today after selling my axis. So I'm in agreement with your choice.
Old May 15, 2011, 04:13 PM   #5
hooligan1

My son just bought a 111, 3006 at a pawnshop. It looks like new and the rifle is fairly clean for being a "used" rifle but it's practically brand spanking new, for 320.00. Totally junk scope though but we'll pitch it and re-ring and base it and put some decent glass on it. pretty decent buy.
Old May 15, 2011, 06:46 PM   #6
randomvalleyguy

In california guns are EXPENSIVE, even budget guns. The 770 would cost over 395.00 out the door! The cheapest I could manage to get the 11fcxp3 for is 490.00 out the door with a cheap scope. I can get a marlin 30-30 for ten bucks cheaper, and I think it's beautiful. But after 200 yards the 30-30 becomes a pea shooter compared to the .308. I don't think the dear will notice he's been shot with an ugly rifle. He may notice extra punch of the .308 though. I can also hunt bear with the .308 and anything else that walks or trots on North American soil. Anyone know if the NcStar Shooter II will fit on the savage I'm getting? 10x-40x sounds great on a .308 that can shoot to over 500 yards. (I have a bad shooting eye, that scope would be a wet dream)
Old May 16, 2011, 05:15 AM   #7
wnycollector

Quote:
NcStar Shooter II
Stay away from NcStar! If you only have $60-80 to spend on a scope, buy one of the lower power (3-9) Centerpoint's at Wally mart.

Here is a $150 scope that will has you a lifetime. http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...odTitle=Nitrex TR One 3-9x42mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish TrexPlex Reticle

Last edited by wnycollector; May 16, 2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old May 16, 2011, 07:24 AM   #8
Fullboar

Yes I concur get the 11fcxp3 over the Edge/Axis and stay away from the NcStar scopes as well as Centerpoints. Bad eye or not all you need on a hunting rifle like that is a 3-9x40 if you want to go bigger don't get anything over say a 4-12x40. IMHO on a rifle like a 308 I would get a Sightron S1 or S11, Nikon Buckmaster, Vortex Diamondback ect with Sightron IMO being about the best in the cheaper scopes.
Old May 16, 2011, 08:07 AM   #9
wnycollector

Quote:
stay away from the NcStar scopes as well as Centerpoints
I have had three CenterPoint scopes (two 3-9x32 w/AO and one 2-7x32) on my rifles for the past several years. While their glass is not a good as my more expensive scopes, they have held zero and track reliably. I have learned that high quality glass is a necessity in low light situations (e.g. dusk and dawn)...but that quality comes at a cost. Some people can't afford to drop hundreds on dollars on optics. IMOO Centerpoint fills a niche for people looking for an decent scope's on a budget.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:07 AM   #10
Saltydog235

I really need to get my 111FCXP3 online. I've been trying to sell the gun local for $325.00 for 4 months now.
Old May 17, 2011, 06:47 PM   #11
Fullboar

While I must admit my experiance with Centerpoint Scopes is limited I did help out a young guy at my range that had only his guns for a little while and he had 3 he got new off Ebay new after someone on a gun forum recommended them, 2 on centerfire rifles (223, 308) and 1 on a 22lr. The 2 on the centerfires gave him trouble and had to be replaced (I gave him one of my old Nikko scopes) but the one on the 22 was all right. A 223 doesnt recoil that much so maybe he just got someones warranties who knows. Onething I do know is it is very frustrating trying to zero a scope that is a POS not to mention the waste of time and ammo. I know money is tight for alot of folks (me included) but I would rather save for a little longer and spend the extra $50 to $100 or so on a scope like the a Sightron S1 (IMO nothing comes close to it in that pricerange and rated for up to .50bmg recoil) and not have to deal with the headache or worry if it will do the job.

Last edited by Fullboar; May 18, 2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 17, 2011, 07:19 PM   #12
Cowboy_mo

Three good scopes in the 100-150 range

I have a Nikon 3-9X40 that I know you can buy in this range and it has served me very well.

I also have a Pentax 3-9X40 in the same price range and it is the brightest scope I have ever used (which includes a $500 Leupold that was on the rifle I rented in Africa).

A friend recently purchased a Nitrex with which he is also well satisfied.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:37 PM   #13
randomvalleyguy

thinking about a stevens 200

I have all my cash saved up and am planning to purchase my rifle tomorrow or the next day, I'm siding towards a stevens 200. It seems to be identical to the 11fcxp3, except for the magazine (stevens is internal, 11fcxp3 is detachable box, right?). I hear savage model 10 stocks will fit the 200, is this correct? I'm gonna buy a heavy barrel and choate ultimate varmit stock to put on it in the near future along with a decent piece of glass, and try to make it a real tack driver. I plan on trying my hand in distance shooting as a hobby and just bought reloading supplies, I was amazed I could get everything I need for $275! I'm so excited!

Tags
budget , hunting rifle , questions , savage