The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 8, 2000, 05:55 PM   #1
Poodleshooter

I just reassembled my great-grandad's Remington model 8 (I believe it is an 8, as it seems to be missing the side magazine springs the model 81 had). Anyway, I'm missing the "firing pin spring" (prevents slam-fires I guess) and the "firing pin buffer spring". I have the NRA manual for assembly/dissasembly and I'm quite familiar with the gun, however, Gun Parts Co. catalogs only list some of the available parts for the Model 8 and I'd like to find other possible suppliers. Internet searches haven't proven very helpful. I'd make the darn springs, except I have no clue as to how much tension I would need to prevent slam fires. Any ideas on suppliers or more info on this rifle? Also has anyone had any experience with this rifle and it's odd recoil operated mechanism?
Thanks in advance!
Old August 18, 2000, 01:57 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

btt