The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old December 6, 2023, 05:52 PM   #1
chris in va

Powder coated for Garand

I'd like to experiment with the little 115gr Lyman bullet in my Garand. It works great in my CZ x39, and if I can find a decent case filling powder for 30-06 it would be a good 'economy' round when I don't want to dump 47 grains of 4895 every time I fire.

I have an adjustable gas plug so I can just back it off and make it a 'bolt action' so it doesn't cycle. If anyone has experimented with powder coated in their Garand I would appreciate your insight.
Old December 6, 2023, 07:37 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

If the action is going to be manually operated, it shouldn't be an issue, though I can't speak to how accurate it will be. I've shot the 100gr plinkers and 110gr JHPs from different .30 cal rifles, some are reasonably accurate, others, not so much.

I would recommend a complete strip and deep clean of the gas system before going back to shooting service level ammo.
Old December 18, 2023, 10:02 AM   #3
AlaskaMike

I'd be surprised if you see any fouling in the gas system. I've shot more than 1000 rounds of cast bullet loads through two different M1s and only one time did I find a tiny flake of lead. Granted these were conventionally lubed gas checked bullets. I would expect powder coated to run just fine. I'd probably be more worried about chamber fouling and keeping the chamber clean.

Since you're not worried about cycling the action, and your purpose is economy, I'd recommend something like 12 grains of Unique with those bullets. Faster powders should also work well, but I don't have any experience in this application with them. One popular load seems to be 10 grains of Red Dot with 150 to 165 grain bullets, and would probably work very well with your lighter bullet.
Old December 18, 2023, 10:10 AM   #4
mehavey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
....the little 115gr Lyman bullet...
Is it gas-checked?

As indicated above (and my own experience), gas-checked bullets are fine.
Bare base bullet edges passing a gas port ? -- not so fine