The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Is the ammo really selling out as fast as everyone is saying?
Buy it now, it is selling fast!!! 16 21.05%
It is all hype and no need to worry. Plenty to go around. 60 78.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 27, 2001, 07:52 AM   #1
JimFromFL

Is ammo really selling out fast?

Should I buy some now or is it OK to wait?
1 Buy it now, it is selling fast!!!
2 It is all hype and no need to worry. Plenty to go around.
Old September 27, 2001, 08:38 AM   #2
riverdog

Actually, you should have bought after the Y2K thing fell through. Lots of ammo and the price dropped. Wait for the prices to settle some and then stock up. Buy what you know you'll shoot.
Old September 27, 2001, 10:28 AM   #3
RazorsEdge

I think there was a short "spike" in purchasing after 9-11,. but you won't see a run unless some legal BS threatens.

Not a bad idea to get ready now. I think most folks oversupply on handgun ammo. In a real showdown, long arms RULE !

But we Americans have a thing about our handguns.
Old September 27, 2001, 10:42 AM   #4
Edward429451

Buy now if you got the cash, because too much ammo doesnt happen.

One never realises how thirsty he is until his well runs dry!
Old September 27, 2001, 12:15 PM   #5
Quakemaster

I was due to buy next month and so I just upped the schedule a bit. It won't go bad, so if you have a little extra, no big deal. It won't go bad, so if you have 10K extra, then you have 10 months of practice ammo.
Old September 28, 2001, 02:10 AM   #6
blades67

If I can't buy it,I'll just make it! (I love my RL550B! )

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old September 28, 2001, 03:33 PM   #7
GunFool

Well, according to the poll results it looks like ammuntion is still in stock in most places. Let me tell you about around here ...the local super Wal-Mart is sold out of all but the most expensive .223, it only has a few boxes of Ballisti-clean 9mm, and is looking low on everything but shotshells. This place is usually stocked fairly well, although not great. It's been like this for the past two weeks. Can't say if it's an effect of the terrorism-induced panic-shopping or not, but I suspect that the current situation is contributing to it (we Suthuners like to be loaded up when the world starts acting funny, I guess). Anyway, my local dealer usually has a lot of ammo variety but never much stock. Even so, I went in today and found no 9mm, almost no 7.62x39, and only some lousy no-name .223 'remanufactured' stuff. The worst thing was that I went in to purchase a new Glock and *gulp* there are almost NO new Glocks available anywhere in the state! I came away empty-handed on a gun buying day! He said he's having the same problems with AK and AR style rifles! There just are none to be had...that is, at least everything new is waaaay on back-order. I know this is a selfish, trivial complaint in light of recent events but damn I wish Bushie would go kick some butt so people would relax and stop buying MY guns!
Old September 29, 2001, 12:29 AM   #8
PreserveFreedom

Buy now...and later.

Old September 29, 2001, 04:36 AM   #9
Hal

Buy now.--but--only if the price is right.
Prices generally are excellent if you pay attention. I was in Dicks Sporting Goods last Sunday to pick up some .22lr they had on sale. $7.98 a brick for Thunderbolts is pretty much an average sale price, but I was running low so I bought some. While I was there, I noticed they had UMC 9mm on the shelf for $5.50 a box, and Remington All-Purpose 12ga and 20 ga shells for $2.97 a box.

I've found that Fall is generally the best time to buy ammo, regardless of whatever else is going on, simply because of the advent of hunting season.

Several of the ammo mfg's are also offering rebates this time of year. Hype or not, there's some awfully good deals out there right now.
Old September 29, 2001, 03:54 PM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Anytime there is some major world event, or anytime some anti-gun legislation is proposed, folks go out and buy, buy, buy.

Sometimes it's justified--selective fire weapons in 1985, for instance. Sometimes it's a false alarm--Y2K is an example.

Always remember that it takes the best part of a year for Congress to cause us trouble. That's why it's important to pay attention to what's going on.

This go-'round? No reason to run out and buy more than you need for your normal usage...

Art
Old September 29, 2001, 04:28 PM   #11
Dead

Buy now Buy later, can never have enough ammo right???
Old September 29, 2001, 04:53 PM   #12
MR.G

I have spoken to a lot of guys at the range here in Florida, that are now retired and have a lot of time to shoot. The problem is that they are now retired from work, on a small fixed income, and can't afford the ammo. More than one have told me that they should have stock piled some ammo over the years, when they could afford it and the price was lower, so that they had enough for retirement. I don't plan to let this happen to me.
Old September 29, 2001, 05:41 PM   #13
lonegunman

I voted 'yes' but I dont really feel that way, I just did it to skew the statistics, and add fuel to the hysteria.
Old September 30, 2001, 10:20 AM   #14
GLOCKT

With the country in an uproar,the sales of guns and ammo are up 2 fold.My favorite gun store here, has less than half of his pistol inventory he usually carries on hand.Much like the Y2K scare the country wants action.Gun dealers are seeing the spur in the market and hope it'll settle down within the next 2 months.Ammo much like pistols is below common stock pile standards.Your favorite or cheapest in town source might be low in stock,but I found around the corner at Bob's clip shop he carries all at elevated prices.SAFE-SHOOTING!