The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 20, 2013, 10:38 PM   #1
Race Bannon

Pedersoli locks?

I'm thinking about buying a flintlock rifle. For the price, the Pedersoli guns seem to be very attractive for production rifles. I'm not new to black powder, but I am new to flintlocks. I keep reading that the quality of the lock can make or break ones flintlock experience. Are the Pedersoli locks any good? If not, what can be done to improve them?

Also, I'm specifically looking at the Pedersoli jaeger if anyone would care to comment on it.

Thanks
Old January 20, 2013, 11:08 PM   #2
mykeal

Quote:
Are the Pedersoli locks any good?
In general, Pedersoli quality is excellent, and this includes their locks.

But, like any generalization, there are exceptions.

Pedersoli is very faithful to the original design of the products they are replicating. In at least one case, that resulted in a lock that faithfully duplicated the faults of the original: the Harper's Ferry pistol. Fortunately, they saw the light and corrected the problem after a while, and later production models lived up to Pedersoli's reputation for quality.

Bottom line: current production locks are high quality. Be careful buying used, however.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:14 PM   #3
Bishop Creek

I had a Pedersoli flintlock a few years back. I was not impressed. Many misfires and I had to spend some time pulling bullets from the barrel with a jag. The frizzen put out minimal sparks and the touchhole was all wrong. Then I had a custom flintlock made with a top of the line Chambers lock and a properly drilled touchhole, what a difference!
Old January 21, 2013, 09:53 AM   #4
the Black Spot

My lock on my pedersoli frontier(smaller lock) has worked fine.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Pahoo

mykeal + 1

Have owned both the flinter and percussion in the Frontiersman and the locks are excellent. ....

Quote:
If not, what can be done to improve them?
Strange as it migh sound, but I have done trigger/lock work on stiff locks but never had to, on a Pedersoli or any Double-Set. ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; January 21, 2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old January 21, 2013, 12:46 PM   #6
BCarp

I've heard that some of the frizzens on current production Pedersoli guns are improperly hardened and not sparking well....
Old January 21, 2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Noz

My experience with Pedersoli is identical with Bishop Creek.
I finally sold the gun out of frustration. The buyer spent more on a new lock than the purchase price of the gun before it would shot reliably.
Old January 21, 2013, 05:53 PM   #8
birdshot

my exp w/ brand new Pedersoli Kentucky

I just bought a brand new 50 caliber,flintlock, Pedersoli Kentucky rifle. I have never seen another flint lock so I can't compare.
My rifle with a fresh flint got me kicked out of the house because my wife thought all the sparks were going to catch her carpet on fire. Outside, I used the first flint with just powder in the pan and towards the end of the flints useful life I was getting a few failures. I put in a new flint for my first trip to the range.
At the range I got 100% performance. I am using Goex fffg in the bore and in the pan. I am concerned about the delay between the hammer falling and the discharge. I reduced powder charges in the pan to around a grain, which helped but even at it's fastest discharge I could still hear the flint striking the frizzen. I am contemplating opening the touchhole liner to a 1/16th inch. Even with the slow ignition I was getting a nice group, and am sure I could hunt game with this gun.
Old January 23, 2013, 11:45 AM   #9
Bishop Creek

birdshot - It is your touch hole. With a properly sized and placed touch hole, there should be no delay; no "whoosh, boom," just "boom."
Old January 24, 2013, 09:19 PM   #10
birdshot

Thanks, I opened the touch hole to 1/16th today. I will report back on how the modification effects the ignition of the main charge.
Old January 27, 2013, 10:25 PM   #11
birdshot

1/16th touch hole

On advise to open the touch hole to 1/16th, I did and now the gun discharges noticably quicker. Still slower than my model 700, but I am beginning to get some confidence with the gun now. I am considering taking it next week on a nylgi and hog hunt.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:28 AM   #12
Rifleman1776

Flint-locks are very sophisticated devices and all parts must be in harmony for good performance.
A factory made lock like the Ped. needs to be tuned for any kind of real performance. Not hard for someone with a little experience.
The difficult part is hardening the frizzen. Again not real difficult after you learn how. But almost all factory made flint-locks do have soft frizzens. Out of the box do not expect good sparking, if any at all.
However, what Ped. ships is not always consistent. You might get lucky and get one that actually sparks.