The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 24, 2000, 01:52 AM   #1
sgtar15

In my Lee and Sieera manual it states that this bullet is .311 in diameter. However, it also states that some US rifles use .308 diameter bullets(ie. Mini 30). I own a russian SKS and would like to reload for it soon. I normally fave fired Wolf ammo thru it, however I have also fired Remington "yellow box" hunting ammo thru it with out any problems. I am assuming that the russian ammo is .311 and the Remington is .308, since it is made in the USA. Is this coorect? And can I safely use .308 diameter bullets in this rifle?

Thank You

------------------
ALL CRIMES ARE HATE CRIMES.

SGTAR15
Old June 24, 2000, 07:55 AM   #2
nwgunman

I've heard that .308 caliber bullets fired from .311 caliber bores are safe but not very accurate. The mini-30 Ruger has a .311 caliber bore to accommodate the 7.62x39 round. .311 cal bullets are available from many sources including Midway, Wideners, etc. You should use brass cases for your reloading, also readily available. The steel cases of the Russian, Chi-Com, and etc. ammo are not reloadable. Stay safe.
Old June 24, 2000, 01:17 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

NWGunman,

The Ruger Mini does NOT have a .311 bore. It has a .308 bore, but a long tapering throat that effectivly will swage a .311 bullet down to .308 without causing pressure problems.

This can cause some accuracy drop off with .308 bullets, but not enough to worry about.

I've fired some VERY good groups through my SKS using Winchester softpoint hunting ammo, on the order of 1.1" at 100 yards.

I replaced the stock with a Choate model, and have it scoped with a cheap Chinese 4 power.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.
Old June 25, 2000, 09:42 PM   #4
Big Bunny

Some of the SKS mil ammo is .312 (or the old 303 Brit size )but as in all things they do vary a bit and .310 to .315" is possible from some (un-named)factories !

The Ruger 'Mini 30' will fire Norinco 7.62X39mm, but it might be best to use the lead-cored ammo not the steel penetrator ones for range use etc. Also the lead cored ones are easier to convert to hunting soft-points by a simple process ...!!

We had a case here when Chicom corrosive steel cased ammo (with a copper wash and gold coloured primers)) was used in a Ruger M30 and due to poor cleaning ruined the barrel. I believe the owner had it re-barelled in .303BR (or .312") with an increase in accuracy and less recoil.
Hope this helps...

------------------
A thought from 'Big Bunny'...."The sword does not kill, it is a tool in the hands of the killer".... Seneca 'the younger' (circa AD 35)
Old June 25, 2000, 09:58 PM   #5
Big Bunny

On re-reading the posting it now seems to me buying a cheap caliper for bullet diameter work and "slugging" the barrel might be the solution here?
The SKS are notorious for variable diameter barrels - as are SMLEs in No4 made in war-time conditions in UK,- but at least the SKS are chrome-lined.

A trip to the range will soon sort out the accuracy for your rifle of various ammo brands, and this is recommended using a bulls-eye target or an outline of your game at calculated optimum hunting range.
But at the bullet speed and projectile from an SKS for hunting, I suppose we are looking at 120m maximum...and there are so many other variables, also it may not matter so much with 10 or 20 (or 30) rounds on tap !!

Using the 125gn projectile the SKS has the ballistics of a W30/30.

And they said it was a 'wicked killer' over here and then banned it!
Old June 25, 2000, 10:46 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Big Bunny,

NEVER try to make a soft-point bullet out of an FMJ military style bullet! You can actually shoot the core out of the bullet and leave the jacket lodged in the bore. On the next shot, guess what happens? Boom!

My gunsmith has two rifles so destroyed, a .30-06 and a Japanese 7.7mm. In both cases the owners tried to use military ammo for hunting by "softpointing" it. In both cases the barrels were burst.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.