The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 2, 2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Nine the Ranger

Mini-14s and Scopes

After a bit of debate I've decided to scope my 581 series Mini-14, along with replacing the stock and adding a flash hider.

I've read that Minis are hard on scopes, I can see thus being true because they kick brass up with authority.

My question is will my Mini break scopes? I was thinking of starting with a Centerpoint or maybe a Nikon P223 (suggestions welcome) and just want to know if I can expect to kiss them goodbye after a while.

Last edited by Nine the Ranger; December 2, 2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old December 2, 2013, 06:58 PM   #2
olddav

which mini is it, defined by first three numbers of serial.
If by chance it's a ranch rifle you should have no problem, it ejects brass more horizontally. If not then you can change the gas plug to a smaller one thus taming the ejection process. (maybe that makes sense)
Old December 2, 2013, 07:02 PM   #3
Nine the Ranger

It is a 581, so quite new.

Will edit first post.
Old December 2, 2013, 07:12 PM   #4
olddav

I don't think the brass hitting the scope is going to be a big problem, but you may want to install a buffer on the receiver. Midway USA has them (recoil buffer).
Old December 2, 2013, 07:15 PM   #5
Esox

Get a scope with a wide field of view, so you can see where all your shots are hitting.
Old December 2, 2013, 08:18 PM   #6
jmr40

As long as it is the Ranch rifle version made to accept Ruger rings I don't think you'll have any problems. If the standard model not designed for scope mounting I'd not scope it. There are aftermarket options for mounting scopes on these, but all are less than desireable.

Newer versions are more accurate than the guns from just a few years back, but don't expect too much.

You don't need a lot of magnification for these rifles. Something in a 2-7X or 1-4X is plenty. Nikon makes a decent scope, but I don't know much about the 223 scope. I wouldn't use one of the Centerpoints.
Old December 2, 2013, 09:49 PM   #7
bamaranger

Mini

I have a Mini-30 that has done in 3 cheap scopes, all Bushnells, 2 fixed 4x's and a fixed 2.5x.

But I put a Leupold 1-4x, an older one...VariX maybe, and it has held up for a couple of years now, including a bunch of rounds in 3 gun lately.
Old December 2, 2013, 09:54 PM   #8
hodaka

I was happy with my 581's accuracy until I scoped it. A steel tubed k-4 has held up but it shows how accurate the Mini is not.
Old December 3, 2013, 10:25 AM   #9
Rogervzv

I have a Leupold Firedot scope on one of my ranch rifles and it has worked stellar. After 600 rounds it is like new. No issues with brass hitting it.
Old December 4, 2013, 08:10 AM   #10
skoro

Quote:
My question is will my Mini break scopes?
My 580 series Mini Ranch Rifle has a Burris Timberline 2-7x28 mounted on it and after several thousand rounds I've seen no issues at all.
Old December 4, 2013, 09:08 AM   #11
SVTCobra306

I have an older Ranch Rifle (190 series) and it likes to throw brass upward, and it will hit the windage knob on most scopes, slowly turning and destroying them. I remedied this by rotating the scope 90 degrees counterclockwise and remounting. You have to use a scope without any kind of drop reticle to do this, and you have to remember when zeroing that up is left, down is right, right is up, and left is down LOL.
Old December 4, 2013, 05:13 PM   #12
5thShock

I read someplace that Kalashnikov took the all metal recoil buffer from the Ranch Rifle and used it for the 308 Saiga. A good recommendation for the Ranch and scopes I think.
Old December 4, 2013, 06:11 PM   #13
sigp226wgerman

You could buy an Ultimak rail that replaces the top handguard and mount a long eye relief scope or red dot sight(aimpoint or eotech).
Old December 4, 2013, 06:17 PM   #14
zxcvbob

I don't believe the brass ejection is the problem -- I think it might be the shock when the oprod hits the stops (sorry, don't know the technical terms.) It's like how a spring-piston airgun can wreck a scope that works fine on a high powered rifle.
Old December 4, 2013, 07:38 PM   #15
Jo6pak

@zxcvbob - I've heard that explaination too (along with some stuff about the action twisting because of the open top and rotating bolt.) I'm skeptical of this because the Ranch Rifles do not have the same reputation for eating up scopes.
*for the record, I have only heard these rumors, I have no personal experience with the phenomenon. All Minis I have fired have irons only.

My choice for a mini would be a low power (2-4x) scout scope or reflex optic on the handguard.
JMHO

Last edited by Jo6pak; December 4, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old December 4, 2013, 11:40 PM   #16
SVTCobra306

Mine is definitely 100 percent brass hitting the windage turret... My Dad's does the same thing, his scope is oriented sideways like mine and has been fine for years. His is not a ranch rifle, it's a regular Mini-14 190 series (I think, I don't think his is a 180 but it's older than mine) with a scope mount bolted to it.
Old December 5, 2013, 10:22 PM   #17
Boomer58cal

Nikon P223...

I bought my Bro one for his AR-15 with a 16.5" barrel. The Scope has been solid and pretty clear for the money, but I had to work up hand loads to match the BDC's circles. For the money I'd take my Redfield revolution scopes over the Nikon though.

Boomer